Sunday, September 23, 2007

Blog 9: Channeling Queneau

Raymond Queneau was a French author who wrote Exercises in Style, a book in which he approached the same short story in 99 different ways: a haiku, telegram, prognostication, interjections, etc. There are myriad ways to convey the same information to different groups of people.

In order to study how authors make the rhetorical choices they do, I want you to write two short notes. Imagine today is a nice day and you don't feel like going to class. (Of course, you would never do such a thing in real life!) You must write a note to your professor explaining why you couldn't make it to class and another note to your best friend explaining what you did with your day.

How did your voice change from one note to the other? What language did you use for each? Were your explanations different? If so, why? Why do we change how we communicate with different groups of people?

DUE Sunday, September 30

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Professor Purdy,
I did not attend class today because I was not feeling so well. My roommate has been sick for the past two weeks and I finally got it. I have felt extremely cold and have styed under my covers all day. I hope I did not miss much. Sorry for this and I will try not to miss again.
Hey Kathryn,
Guess what? I am not at class right now because it is a beautiful day and I just decide it is to good to spend it indoors in a classroom listening to a boring professor tell me everything I do not want to hear about nothing that really matters in life. Right now I am sitting outside on a bench eating a sandwich listening to the bird sing and letting the wind blow my hair, oh this day could not be any better.
When I was writing my note to the professor I did not know what to say so I found myself making up an excuse to why I was not at class last Monday. I tried to keep more sophisticated language. When I was writing my note to my best friend; it was very easy to write what was really happening and why I was not at class on such a gorgeous day with the wind blowing, the sun out, and the birds singing away. I wrote more casual. Both of my explanations were different from my friend to my professor. I am not sure, but maybe we talk different to different groups of people because we do not want our professors or other older people to look at us in a different way from telling them that it was such a nice day that I did not come to class or most common I slept in or even just forgot. Our friends are our same age so we know that they have done the same or similar things that we just share with each other.

Meghan D said...

Dear Professor Purdy,
I was unable to attend class today because I came down with the flu and was incapable of getting out of bed. I am sorry for missing class and I hope that I didn’t miss too much. I promise that this will not occur again.
Hey Megan,
Okay so I totally missed class today. I couldn’t help it; it was too beautiful of a day to be sitting inside bored out of my mind. Now I’m lying outside listening to music and watching some people play Frisbee. I know if I miss class I probably should do homework, but I just wanted a couple of hours to relax and enjoy the day. Well I guess I’ll see you this weekend, can’t wait.
When I was writing the letter to my professor I used more sophisticated language and made up a vague excuse for missing class. When I was writing the letter to my friend I was more comfortable and used more of the language that I use every day. I didn’t feel the need to make the sentences flow together. I think we communicate differently with different people because with different groups a certain type of language is more acceptable. You wouldn’t talk to your employer like you would a friend. There is also a different level of comfort with different people and the more comfortable you are the easier it is to be yourself.

Anonymous said...

Dear Professor Purdy,
Today I was not able to make it to class, and I apologize for that. My reasoning for missing was because of some very important things that I was obligated to for today. I know that this is not a valid reason but there were just some things that I considered very important and felt that I had to do. These plans were pretty last minute which is why I was not able to inform you beforehand. I promise that I will try my best to not let this type of thing happen again. I am aware that I most likely missed some things in class today and I am asking that, if possible, you could give me the chance to make them up. If not could you please at least let me know what I missed so that I could do it on my own, just for my own benefit?
Thank you,
Ellen Ciacchini

Dear Maura,
Oh my gosh, today was so much fun! I wish that you could have been here. The weather was so great so I completely ditched class and was outside all day. I played golf with some friends and then went to the rec to lay out for hours on end listening to music and eating ice cream. My roommate came with me so it was a ton of fun. After we were done laying out we went shopping for a while and I got some really cute things. I’ll have to show you them. We went out to dinner at Olive Garden so I was real excited. When you come to visit we will do something like this. I miss you so much and I hope you are enjoying yourself at school! I have to go work on homework now. Ahhhh! I’ll talk to you later!
-Ellen

Anonymous said...

Dear Professor Purdy,
I do not think I will be able to make it to class today because I am not feeling well. I would like to ask you if there were any assignments received or hand out that I might have missed. I am very sorry that I am unable to go to your class but I feel that it would be more beneficial for me to get some sleep so I can get well. Thank you and I hope to be hearing from you soon.
Marie Rohlke
Hey girl its me I just got back from Brads house it was really fun we just hung out for a couple hours with everybody! I really wanted to stay longer so I emailed my teacher for English and told her that I couldn’t go to class cuz I was sick! Haha that is soo weird I have never skipped a class before I kinda feel bad about it just cuz I know that my rents are paying for that class and idk it just seems kinda unfair to them. But anyway so I am back in my room now just wondering if you wanted to hang out tonight and maybe get some dinner well ill ttyl bye!!! Rockle

Anonymous said...

Professor Purdy,
I am sorry that I was unable to make it to class today. This past weekend I was beginning to pick up a cold that my roommate had, and now it has really hit me. I would have come to class even with a cold but I have been feeling dizzy when I walk, and now I have a slight fever. I will get the work I missed in class from either you or a fellow student and catch up with the class. Sorry for my absence!
Sincercely,
Mary Brislen

Hey Kate! You won’t believe what I did today! I actually cut class and wrote a note to my prof. saying I had a cold and fever! I know-crazy..right? Anyhow, it is sooooo nice outside today. It has finally cooled down and it’s not hot and sticky anymore. So, since I skipped class, me and my other friend Kelsey went downtown and went shopping and then out to eat! It felt like a Saturday! And when we got back we played Frisbee with the guys from upstairs…today was the best day ever! I might regret this next English class but ooowell..ttyl..
~mary

In these two notes there is an apparent difference in the tone, style, and structure of each note. For instance, in the note to my professor I talked formally and sympathetically so that my professor could understand that I was truly sorry for missing class. By doing this, hopefully I would get some empathy from the professor. Additionally, I tried to use correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling because of the note’s formal structure. Also, to really emphasis that I was sorry for missing class I used an exclamation point on the last sentence to try to further get my message across. On the other hand, in the note to my best friend, I talked conversationally as if my friend was almost sitting beside me. Moreover, I didn’t necessarily use correct grammar and punctuation because this was a very casual conversation. In this note, to emphasize certain words or phrases, I used exclamation points but I also used multiple periods and drew out words (like soooo…. Instead of so). Also, in the note to my friend I even used an abbreviation (ttyl means talk to you later); whereas, in the note to my professor I would not do that because of its proper tone.
Overall, I think that this exercise was excellent in portraying how people talk differently to different groups of people. The reason that people talk in different ways to different groups of people is because of the reaction that they want to get. I wanted my teacher to respect me and emphasize with me; therefore, I spoke in a formal tone. Whereas in the note to my best friend, I wanted to talk to her like I normally talk in everyday life.

Anonymous said...

Dear Professor Purdy,
I apologize in advance but I don’t think I’m going to make it to today’s class. This past weekend was very hectic, and between studying for two tests and trying to stay on top of my reading in other classes I’ve gotten really worn down. I’m going to the doctor today so hopefully I’ll be feeling better and well enough to be back in class on Friday. And I plan on getting the notes taken in the class that I miss from a friend. I’m sorry and promise you that this will not become a habit.
Dear Allyce,
Soooo I skipped my first class today. And I’m not gonna lie I didn’t feel that guilty about it. I emailed my professor and said I was sick. I mean, its not a complete lie. My throat kinda hurts. But honestly it was just so nice out today. So instead of getting up early, walking all the way to the library and sitting in class I decided to take a little break. So I slept in, woke up, watched america’s next top model for a little and I’m thinkin maybe I’ll take a nap later. I wish you could be here I miss being able to hang out with you whenever I want! But at the same time it’s probably a good thing that you’re not because if you were here we’d probably never go to class and just bum around and be lazy all day everyday. Well im gonna get goin, maybe I’ll do something with my life. I better see you soon!
My language and tone from between the letter to my professor and the letter to my best friend definitely vary. In the letter to my professor I was concerned about it sounding professional. If I was going to be missing class I better at least have a good excuse and have that excuse sound professional and well written in my letter. The voice I used in the letter to my professor is not the way I talk normally but since it was to a figure of authority I altered the way I would normally talk. In the letter to my friend it was very personable. I wrote to her as if we were sitting down and having a conversation. I wasn’t worried about my grammar either since we normally write to each other very casually and I knew my friend wouldn’t pay any attention to my grammatical errors, unlike my English professor. I also gave a different explanation as to why I was missing class to my professor than the explanation I gave to my friend. I explained to my professor that I was getting worn down and sick and while still not an excusable absence it sounds better than just being lazy and tired. I had no problem explaining to my friend, however, that I was just sick of school and needed a day to do nothing. It’s important that we change the way we speak when we are communicating with different groups, because you have to take into account the kind of group you are communicating with. Then as soon as you’ve researched your audience you have to address them in a way that will interest them and appeal to them. Just as you wouldn’t write a letter the same way to your best friend as you would to your English professor, you wouldn’t give the same presentation to a huge company that you would give to a kindergarten class.

Christian M. said...

Professor Purdy,
As you probably now know I did not attend class today, it was entirely my fault. My alarm clock failed to go off and when I woke up, it was far too late to make it to class. I hope what I missed was not very important, but I’ll check with my other class mates to see what I missed. Again I apologize for my mistake and it will not happen again.
- Christian McPeek
Hey Matt!!
I did the unthinkable today, I skipped English class!! I bet I did not miss much so its not big deal. It was great having a day off, doing whatever I wanted when I wanted. Me and some friends went and played some basketball at the rec and the place was pretty much empty because everyone as at class! You have to skip class someday, I promise you won’t regret it.
- Christian
When I wrote my note to my professor for not attending class it was formal and did not dance around different topics. I addressed why I missed class and what I was doing to catch up. When I wrote my friend it was much more casual and I feel like it does not have to fit together because we understand each other. I think that’s why people write differently to different people, because some people understand you much more then what other people might not get.

Phil M. said...

Dear Professor Purdy,
I am very sorry to say that I did not attend class today. The reason for me not being in class today is because I was not feeling well. Last night I was up all night with a terrible cough and stuffy nose. I got barely any sleep and thought I could miss just this one class. I hope you will not take any kind of grudge because I have not missed a class yet this year. Sorry for the unexcused absence it will not happen again.
Sincerely, Phil Mackie.
Hey Hank,
What are you up to right now? Well I ended skipping my English class today because I was up all night with my friends playing video games and hanging out. I thought it was okay to miss this one class, it’s not like I am skipping English all the time, you know? I mean at least I had the courtesy of writing her a letter to tell her I was not going to be in class today. Well, I was just seeing if you were done with class and wanted to go out and play some Frisbee.
Get back to me ASAP, Phil.
When I was writing my note to my English professor I felt as if the tone was more sincere. My note was something used to cover myself with an explanation. While using the language to my friend Hank flowed freely as if I was actually talking to him. It was also different because I do not know my professor as well as my friend Hank. Being able to know someone well changes the style and tone of your writing completely. When I talk to my professor, I think about being at work talking to my boss. My professor and boss are both authoritative figures and I would want to use the most sincere voice as I possibly could. While talking to a person like my friend Hank shows little or terrible use of the English language. The language between people changes at various times throughout the day in a college student or teenager’s life.

Anonymous said...

Dear Professor Purdy,
I’m sure you noticed my absence in class this morning. I was up late last night studying for an important exam that I have to take later on today. I slept through my alarm clock, and I didn’t wake up until class was over. I would greatly appreciate it if you could e-mail me the class notes, and homework. I understand that you have to give me an absence, but I hope that you will personally forgive me for my lack of participation. I will do my best to never miss another class again. Thank you again for your understanding.
Thank you,
John Klass

Frank,
Dude did you make it to class this morning? I skipped, I was so hung over this morning that there was no way I was getting out of bed to go. Could you tell me what we did in class today? That is if you even went? I e-mailed Purdy and I told her that I was up late last night studying for an exam, and I slept in. I hope she don’t get too pissed off at me, that’s the last thing that I need right now. Ya but last night kicked ass man, we dominated at pong, no one could beat us. I’m glad I skipped class, I needed that extra hour of sleep so that I can get some homework done. Man I hope that Purdy doesn’t confront me about my “exam” that I supposedly had today. I wonder if I could get away with doing that again.
I will talk to you later buddy,
John

KHensman said...

Dear Professor Prudy,
I do not think I am going to make class today. I came down with a fever and cannot get out of bed. I think it is better for me to stay in bed and get some rest, than going to class and getting everyone else sick. Please let me know if there were any assignments or handouts I missed. Sorry I could not make it to class and I hope to be hearing from you soon.
Kathryn Hensman

Alisha!
OMG! I had the best day ever. I skipped all my classes because it was such a beautiful day. I feel kinda bad about that, but o well. Since it was such a nice day I went to the park and went for a hike and met up with Christina and Ashley for lunch. We tried to call you but you did not answer… how sad! Lunch was so much fun; I have not seen Christina and Ashley in so long. I probably should go work on all the homework I have because I missed class today, I will call you later girlie (:

The tone in the first note to my professor is more formal, I try to make sure the grammar is correct and I have no missed spelled words. Whereas my second letter to my friend is more casual, if I mess up on grammar or spelling I don’t care. The second note is also more laidback. The explanations are different because in the first note no one can tell their professor they’re skipping class because it is nice outside, they probably would give you an F on any assignment that was missed. In the second note it is to your friend and they can’t punish you for missing class. We change the way we communicate with different people because with some people you can be more laidback and it does not matter how we talk to them. Where if we would talk to a superior of ours like a friend it would not be polite and it could get us into trouble if it was our professor or parent.

SamanthaM. said...

Dear Professor Purdy,
I am so sorry I was not able to attend class today. I had a very upset stomach. It was very painful and I just could not bear sitting through classes all day. I am very sorry once again, I hope this does not offend you. I will be at class tomorrow. I am feeling much better.
Thank you,
Samantha McDaniel

Hey Cait!
Omg! Guess what?!?!?! I didn’t go to any of my classes today! I know, I know…..but it was soooooo nice outside all I wanted to do was sleep! Then I got up and went for a long run in the park!! It was awesome! I hope I didn’t miss too much….. But o well right…lol!! I had a great day! I am so happy now and 2morrow I will def be refreshed and ready to go!!
Love ya girl!!
Sam
I found that when I was writing these letters to two different people the way I talk and write is completely different. When I was writing to my professor I used proper language and I could not tell the truth because the professor would have hated me. Plus, I knew I could talk to my friend however I wanted and not worry about it but with someone you do not know or a professor it is hard to just write anything because you don’t know how that person will respond so you need to write more proper and with better English. On the other hand, when you write to your friends you know how they respond to certain things so you play to them and you talk to them as if you are in a conversation with them but with fewer words. There is a definite difference in my style of writing at least when it comes to different audiences.

Anonymous said...

Dear Professor Purdy,
I want to apologize for missing class today. I was up all night throwing up and didn’t get any sleep. I tried to get up and get ready for class this morning but when I tried to stand up, I knew it wasn’t going to happen. A few girls on my floor have been sick so something has definitely been going around. I hope I didn’t miss too much and I’ll talk to you before class on Friday to catch up. Thanks again, and I’m very sorry.
-Mary Kate
Hey Gwen!
Alright, so get this. Today was such a nice day out I decided I really didn’t want to spend it in class so I totally skipped! I got to sleep in, get lunch and now I’m just chilling. What are you doing? That stinks that you’re stuck in school right now. Just kidding, but not really. Sarah, Brooke and I decided to grab some ice cream earlier and then we played some sand volleyball. It was just a relaxing day and exactly what I needed. Well, I can’t wait for you to come and visit me. I miss you, call me later!
Love ya,
Mary Kate

My voice was much more “laid-back” in my note to Gwen and I tried to sound very polite in the note to my professor. Of course my excuse was different. I had to act like I was actually sick and didn’t really skip class to my professor, but I told my friend the truth about my fun day. I used normal, everyday language in the note to my friend. It was kind of like how I’d talk to her on the phone. The language in the note to my professor was more polite and not very enthusiastic. My voice changed because I was writing to two totally different types of people. I wouldn’t talk to my professor like I talk to a friend because I don’t have that kind of relationship with my professor.

Maureen L. said...

Dear Professor Purdy,
I am so sorry, but I do not think I will be in class today. I caught a bad cold. I am in bed and I do not think it would be a good idea to get other people sick. My floor has been sick for awhile and now they got me sick. I hope that I get well soon. Please let me know what I missed today. Thank you so much.
Hey Meg,
Oh my Goodness... this has been the best day of school yet. I just could't go to class today, it was too beautiful to be inside studying. You should do the same! I have gone into downtown Dayton and went to a really sweet record shop then I went to luch with a friend. I am so glad I decided to take a day off. I have been so stressed out lately. I hope everything is going well. Give me a call later!
When I wrote to my professor
I had to make up an excuse because I knew that I was doing the wrong thing by skipping class. I always feel bad when I lie about something, so I'm sure that I would feel really bad if I actually did make up this excuse. When I wrote to my best friend I found myself being proud of taking the day off. I reasoned with myself that I needed a day off, and sometimes that is true, everyone needs a day off once in awhile.

Anonymous said...

Dear Professor Purdy,
I could not make to class today. I was up late working at the library last night and on my way back it was raining. I was already feeling a little sick and when I woke up this morning I felt terrible. I thought that it would be best if I didn’t go to class and risk my fellow students getting sick because of me. I will get the stuff that I missed from another student. Hopefully I will be better by Monday.
Sincerely,
Phillip Monnier
Dear Nick,
You will never guess what I did today. I skipped all of my classes. It was awesome! I had some much fun starting my weekend early. I took my usual Friday afternoon walk in the morning and then I went to some green space on campus and threw a frisbee with some people on my floor. What a beautiful day it was!
Peace out
Phillip
In the one to the teacher my voice is much more formal and I slightly lie and exaggerate some things to make it look like I’m really sick. My language in the first one is more formal where as in the letter to my friend is more conversational. The explanations were quite different. This is because I would feel bad if I told the teacher what I really did. It would make the beautiful day more important than class. This this of course is not the case. We communicate to different people in different ways. This is because we are more comfortable with some people than others. If I was completely comfortable with the teacher, I would have told her straight up what had happened and not made some story up. This is like knowing just meeting someone and becoming friends with them; and being friends with someone for a long time.

Abdullah said...

Dear Professor Purdy,
Today I could not attend your class because I got up with flu and a fever and I was not be able to get out of my bed. I wanted to stay in my bed to get some rest and I did not want to attend the class in order not to infect anyone in the class. Could you please email me the homework? I really apologize for missing the class and that will not happen again.
Hi Ali,
Today I'm so happy I skipped my English class and I emailed my professor and I said that I was very sick and I got up with flu and a fever. That was not true, but I just wanted to skip the class without any reason. I wanted to relax and do whatever I want.

When I was writing my note to my professor for not attending the class it was formal and I felt that I have to give a good excuse to my professor in order to believe me. When I was writing the note to my best friend was completely different than my professor note it was informal. I should not speak with my professor as the way I speak with my friend because there is no relationship between my professor and me.

Anonymous said...

Dear Professor Purdy,
I'd first like to say that I am sorry for not attending class today. I did not deliberately skip your class, however, I am not going to make up an excuse about how I am dying in my bed either. To be honest, I have had a lot of assignments to complete for all my other classes and just not enough time to get them all done. Last night I was up studying for a test until three in the morning. To make a long story short, I was completely exhausted and slept through my alarm today and missed your class. I know this isn't a good excuse but there was nothing I could do about it. I hope you will be understanding. Please let me know what I missed. This will not happen again.
Greg
Scotty J-Thug,
Whats up my man? Yo, as I'm sure you can see it's a nice day outside so I decided to sleep in and spend my day chillin and not in class. I'm planning on getting something to eat pretty soon and then just getting off campus for a little while. Just let me know if you're interested in ditching too so we can make a day of it. Don't pass this opportunity dude, I know you'd much rather play video games and chill then go to class. Hit me up later.
Greg
When I was writing the two letters I found myself having to think about what to say when I wrote to my professor opposed to just speaking my mind with my friend. In my letter to the professor I tried to make it more grammatically correct as well as be more proper with the use of my language. I did not use slang and wrote in a sort of way that conveyed respect to my professor. When I wrote to my friend I didn't care what I said and told him what I was really doing. I thought it was interesting how much our language changes when we change our intended audience.

Avery C. said...

Dear Professor Purdy-
I’m really sorry I will not make it to class today. The past week I have not been feeling that great. I have this awful sinus infection with a combination of the stomach flu. My friend has also been very sick and I think I unfortunately caught what she has been fighting. I will stop by your office when I’m feeling better, to see what I have missed. This will not happen again, I’m not the type of person who is sick this is extremely unusual! Have a good day. I will stop by on Wednesday during your office hours and we can talk about what I have missed.
Hey Jenny-
I’m not going to class today! I got out of it! I told my professor that I was feeling really sick and caught this sinus infection and flu from a friend. Everything worked out I really didn’t want to go today so I just told her I would stop by and find out what I missed. It’s not a big deal anyways because we never do anything.
When I wrote to my professor I made it sound like I was really really sick. I had to make it sound like I couldn’t even write the email. Basically that I was not doing well and I have a caught it from a friend and I should be getting better very soon. I also had to make it sound like I was very concerned about missing class and that I would follow up with her about the assignment I have missed. I also explained to my teacher that I’m not the type of student who likes to miss class, which is also why I said I will be stopping in to see what I have missed.

DavidB. said...

Dear Professor Purdy,
I'm so terribly sorry that I didn't attent school today. I was on my way when I was crossing chambers and this rabid squirrell jumpred out and bit me in the neck. It hurt very badly. Blood began squirting out of my neck and then the squirrell threw up rabies infested blood onto me. So I had to rush to the hospital to get the illness taken care of. I'm very sorry I missed class. Won't happen again.

Swaggs,
Bro, I skipped english class. that class is so boring. all she does is sit up there and write notes about things that have nothing to do with anything i will ever need to use. she doesnt understand that writing is a dying art and that by the time you get to college, if you arent able to write and read on your own, somethings wrong. but anyway bro, im gonna go get some stuff done. take it easy.

When i was writing my note to the professor i was very sincere and apologetic. i kissed ass very much and made up a sweet, fully believable story. when i wrote to my friend, my language was much more relaxed and calm. i used slang terms and just didnt regard him in a professional manner

DavidB. said...

Dear Professor Purdy,
I'm so terribly sorry that I didn't attent school today. I was on my way when I was crossing chambers and this rabid squirrell jumpred out and bit me in the neck. It hurt very badly. Blood began squirting out of my neck and then the squirrell threw up rabies infested blood onto me. So I had to rush to the hospital to get the illness taken care of. I'm very sorry I missed class. Won't happen again.

Swaggs,
Bro, I skipped english class. that class is so boring. all she does is sit up there and write notes about things that have nothing to do with anything i will ever need to use. she doesnt understand that writing is a dying art and that by the time you get to college, if you arent able to write and read on your own, somethings wrong. but anyway bro, im gonna go get some stuff done. take it easy.

When i was writing my note to the professor i was very sincere and apologetic. i kissed ass very much and made up a sweet, fully believable story. when i wrote to my friend, my language was much more relaxed and calm. i used slang terms and just didnt regard him in a professional manner

MarkD. said...

Dear Professor,
I was unable to attend class today because of my illness. I will get the notes from someone and study up on them. I will not fall behind in class because on my absence.
Thank You,
Mark DeBoer
Dude,
Guess what I did today, blew off class and rode my bike all day. It was so nice and dry out today, just could not pass it up. Next time you got to come with me.
Peace
In the note to my professor, I was professional and polite. I wanted to leave him a note that looked official and one that he would not take as a fake. I had to make my point clear and straight forward. If you try and make a bunch of excuses then the professor might think you are not telling the truth. You want the professor to forget about the note as soon as he is done reading it.
When talking to my friend, I was conversational and casual. I kept the note short and blunt, because I know that both of us do not like to take the time to read long notes. I was honest about what I did that day in my note to my friend because I do not like to lie to my best friend.

Kevin S. said...

Dear Professor Purdy,
I will not be able to attend class today due to my trip to the dentist. My mom told me late last night that she will be getting me in the morning. Sorry for the late notice.
Hey Jim,
Man you will never guess what I did today. I skipped class and got off campus. I saw the new movie out Superbad and it was hilarious. I could really go for a game of basketball or maybe take advantage of the beautiful day and just run. I am so happy I skipped this day has been sweet. I’ll give you a call later man.
I talk so much different from one note to the other. I am more relaxed when I message my friend. When I wrote my professor a note I was a little more professional or more serious. I wasn’t nearly as detailed, I was very blunt and non descriptive. The note was rigid and straight to the point. My explanations were very different. I didn’t want to go to class so I lied to my teacher and I bragged to my friend. We do this because it’s how we communicate with the people we get along with. The note to my friend you can tell that were good friends. I wouldn’t write like that to my parents either. It’s just the type of relationship you have with people. We express ourselves whatever comes natural; it’s almost natural to lie to your teacher and brag to your friend or lie to your parents and do stuff with your friends.

JDLV200 said...

Dear Professor Purdy:
I was not able to attend class today because I was really sick. I woke up this morning with a lot of congestion and to tell you the true I have been feeling this way for the past week. This morning I tried to get out of my bed but I really was not feeling well. I have a headache and also my roommate told me that I have fever so I decided to stay in bed today hoping that tomorrow I can be ready for classes again. I also going to call a classmate to find out what I missed in class I hope I was not much. I really appreciate your understanding and hope this doesn’t happen again.

Hi you know that I missed class today. I woke up and its was too good of a day to go to class. I sleep until 1 and then I went to the pool at the Recplex. I was a day for relaxing. I really don’t care about the classes so much. I feel so good I need more days like this one. Man you don’t have an idea of how good is having a day of in the middle of the week. I was going to use the day also to do homework but I say what I have to do I don’t have this class until Friday so I do it tomorrow.
I think the way you talk to the professor is really careful because you don t want her to see that you are not telling the true like in this case. Also I have to say that you express you differently do to the trust that you have in this person. The way that you direct to different people is define by the circumstances surrounding the events.

MeganP. said...

Dear Professor,
I am sorry to say that I am not able to come to class today. I have just got a horrible stomach virus, which has enabled me to get out of bed. If you could let me know about any vital information I should know, that would be great. I will be sure to get notes from today’s class.
Thank you,
Megan Patberg
Hey Nat!
Omg you wouldn’t imagine what I did today. I just decided not to go to class today. The weather outside is so nice, which I was not going to go to class on a day like this. I don’t even know what I’m going to do with that extra hour of nothing. I think I’ll go down to Brown Street with friends or something. Anything, but be in class. I told my teacher some bs about me having a stomach virus, which obviously I didn’t. I miss you and can’t wait to see you soon!
Love,
Megan
The difference between the two paragraphs other than a lie and truth is informal and formal. In the letter to my professor, I use formal language. I don’t use abbreviations or any slang terms. Also the greetings are different. The greeting to my professor is using dear, which is a formal way. But, writing to my friend, is with a hey and not very professional. In the note to my professor it is as I’m writing a paper, but to my friend it is just as having a conversation with her. Also, I use my full name when writing to my professor, but to my friend it is just my name, because she knows who I am. The English overall is horrible to my friend, and I am not very conscious of it. But, to my professor I make sure to use proper English and grammar.

Anonymous said...

Dear Professor,
I’m sorry to be telling you this on such short notice, but I will not be in class today. I haven’t been feeling well for the past few days. Last night I was up all night with the flu and when I woke up this morning I still wasn’t feeling well. I was wondering if it would be okay to meet with you, whenever it is convenient, to try and catch up. Please email me when you receive this.
Thank you,
Andrew Quatkemeyer
What’s up buddy, I decided to be lazy today and just skip all of my classes. I’m sure I missed some stuff but it’s just too nice out today. It’s the beginning of fall and it’s a little bit cooler outside. I woke up and went to PT and after that me and some of the guys just went and ate breakfast. I went back and took a nap. I woke up and decided to lift earlier than I normally do. I threw the football a little bit and messed around on the field. It was sweet to just not really do anything. Take it easy big guy. I’ll see you when we get back home.
Quatk.
As you can tell there is a huge difference in the two notes that I wrote. When writing a note to the professor my voice was more formal and sincere. When writing a note to my friend it was as if he was in front of me and we were just having a conversation. My explanations were different for the two notes for obvious reasons. One is written to a professor so the explanation has to be professional and actually have a legitimate excuse for not being in class. When writing a note to a friend the explanation was more truthful and more descriptive. The note to a friend the language used was relaxed. The words that were used are typically used in conversations. The language that is used in the note to the professor is thought out and professional. People change language because of the audience that the writing is intended to address.

Danny said...

Dear Professor Purdy,
I would like to apologize for not attending class this morning. I was feeling a little under the weather and decided to take the chance to rest up and regain my health, so as not to get the rest of the class sick. I felt it would be in the best interest of all for me to take the time of to get healthier. I have already spoken to Jason and have arranged to catch up on the notes and anything else I missed in class today. Once again I apologize for missing class and hopefully I will be much healthier come Wednesday and will not have to miss class again.
Sincerely,
Danny Wynn

Hey Jason, guess what? I skipped English today. Haha I completely slept through it I was so exhausted I was up so late last night and I just woke up and looked at my clock and was like the hell with it I don’t care im sleeping through this so I skipped it. I told the teacher that I was sick, isn’t that great? Do you think I could get your notes or something though? What did I miss? Was it as boring as usual? Im so glad I didn’t have to go to it. It felt great to sleep in for once. I may have to do this more often. Ill talk to you later though man
wynn

Anonymous said...

Dear Professor Purdy,
I am emailing you to inform you that I will not be in class today. I had a very rough night last night. I was irresponsible and procrastinated studying for my Chemistry midterm. I didn’t quite realize how much work I had, and frankly I couldn’t handle it. I am so sorry for the inconvenience, and if there is any work I need to make up please let me know. Sorry again.
Kevin Eckart
Hey Luke Warm,
What’s up buddy? I got out of class today by telling my teacher that I had to much work to do. Luckily I studied on Sunday huh? Since it’s so sunny out lets go out and play a little sand volleyball. We can go grab some lunch at chipotle later too. I mean I can’t believe my professor expects that I didn’t know how much work I was getting into when I came in as premed major. Funny stuff huh? Anyways I’ll see you in a little alright buddy.
Kevin
When I was writing my note to my professor I tried to sound like I was very sorry for being in over my head. I used the method of pathos to try and appeal to the sympathy emotion of my professor. This is a good way to use the kindness of a professor my advantage. Professors know that some freshman are overwhelmed their freshman year, and using a technique to appeal to her emotions would be highly effective. My language was very passive and “sheepish” in a way. I was writing a note to an authoritative person, and needed validation for my excuse. When I wrote my note to a friend I was able to use a very comfortable language because he is one of my peers. I was relaxed because I could be honest with him. I did not need to worry about repercussions for my actions from a friend. The language you use is directly affected by your comfort level.

Anonymous said...

Dear Professor Purdy,
I am sorry that I must inform you that I will not be attending class today because I am feeling a little under the weather. Next class I will discuss with you what I missed and what all I need to do to make up the work. I am sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused.
Sincerely,
Tim Wall
Hey Nick,
How is everything going? Today was such a nice day out I decided to enjoy myself today rather than go to class and have to sit through some long lecture. Let me tell you it was a great decision. I got up and went out for a great run then played some basketball outside. The weather was great sunny with a little wind and pretty cool. It was great and totally worth telling my professor that I was sick and under the weather when I was actually having one of the greatest days since summer. I have got to run but I will talk to you later on.
Talk to you later,
Bro
From the note that I wrote to my professor to the note that I wrote to my brother my grammar as well as vocabulary changed. In writing to my professor I would tend to use larger words and a more sophisticated way of speaking. When I wrote to my brother I would say what was on my mind and not worry about if the sentences flowed together or not. I believe we change the way we communicate between different groups of people because of how comfortable and familiar we are with that group. When I speak with family or friends I tend to us slang and not worry about what I say. When speaking with a professor I spell out words and proofread whatever I have written.

Jacob M. said...

Dear Professor Purdy,
I will not be at class today because I have to go home to go to my sister’s graduation party. I have to help my parents set up for the party all day. There is no way that I can be at school and then go home because it wouldn’t leave enough time to set up before the people come over our house. I just wanted to let you know before time so that I could be excused from class. I also would like to know what assignments I will be missing. I am sorry that I cannot make it to class, but this party will be the only graduation party that my sister has and my mom would not get the party set up in time if I didn’t come home to help. Thanks for understanding.
Jake Milli

Dave,
Today, I took the day off and told the teacher that I had to go home for my sister’s graduation party. I know that I should skip class, but I was just tired and I didn’t feel like going to class. I know that you don’t have class today so I was wondering if you wanted to go out and have some fun. I just want to lay out and do nothing and just enjoy being relaxed. All morning I laid in bed and it was the best thing I have experienced in weeks. Well, call me if you want to go do something this evening.
Jake

Each of these essays were very different because they had different tones to them. The first one to the teacher was very serious explaining why I could not make it to class. It gave good reason that would persuade the person to this that I had a legitimate excuse for not being at class. The second one I was very laid back and was more personal in my approach. Each of us didn’t care what the outcome of the day was or what we were going to do. This meant that the second note was more explanatory and unserious with no intention to persuade an outcome.

BradleyL. said...

Ms. Purdy,
I apologize for not attending class on Monday, October 1. My floor has been passing around strep throat the past week and a half. I’m afraid that it has finally came knocking at my door. Please, I would be grateful if you can attach my missed assignments to an email or direct me to a website that will allow me to check what I have missed. Thank you for your consideration and understanding. I look forward to seeing you next class.

Sincerely,
Brad Lane


Hey guess what, I’m skipping class today because I feel like it. Meet me infront of Stuart hall. A couple of girls agreed to skip with us, we’re trying to keep the weekend from dying. If you know what I mean… wink wink. Alright yo, just don’t be late. Pe@ce.

Brad

I felt more compelled to keep my note longer and more approachable to the professor rather than to the student. I also used a proper outline when I wrote my professor. Transitioning from one letter to the other was not very hard, only because I’ve been doing it my whole life. The difference between proper English and slang is the way you speak to the person you are addressing. Also, the intelligence of the writer’s word choice determines the type of English used.
We always use different explanations when we talk to a superior and a friend. The reasons are strictly dealing with relationships. With a professor you are required to see them at least 3 hours a week. A friend you are willing to seek out and spend time with for as long as you want. I myself use different stories because it’s easier to give a flaky explanation rather than telling a professor that I blew of his/her class to go and do something more exciting.

Eileen S. said...

Dear Professor Purdy,
I work up this morning and felt extremely nauseous. I quickly got out to bed and ran to the bathroom where I then proceeded to get sick. Currently I am lying in bed with a bucket by my side and can not bring myself to get up for class for I fear I will get sick while I am in class. I plan on seeing the doctor on campus later this afternoon. But until then sorry for not showing up to class, I will be sure to ask someone what I missed. Have a good afternoon.
Sincerely,
Eileen Sweeney
Hey Gracie,
So you will never believe what I did today instead of going to my 10 am English class??? Did you guess? Well I went to the Rec Plex and lied out in the sun and tanned. I am sure you are surprised at me, teehee. I have begun to lose all my color from the summer so I needed to lie out really badly and the day was just too perfect. I honestly never thought I would miss class for such a silly reason. I did sorta kinda do some readings for class but I more or less ended up calling people and listening to my ipod. How was your day darling? I miss you <3
Lovesss ya,
Eileen
When I wrote my letter to the professor I kept it professional and was polite. Making sure to give an explanation and explain the situation fully. In the letter to my friend Grace I tended to us online or texting lingo. I also tended to write in more of a conversation style. Asking her questions and then responding myself. In my friends letter I was also more comfortable and a lot more casual, being friendly asking how her day was. The letter to the professor was written to get the message that I was sincerely sorry for missing class, in hopes that I would not get penalized as bad if I had not contacted her.

Anonymous said...

Dear Professor Purdy,
I am truly very sorry that I cannot attend class today due to the flu. I have been sick for a while, but when I woke up this morning I was feeling terrible. My floor mates have been sick for a while and I knew it would catch up with me, sometime or another. I hope I do not miss that much in class today. Although I would really like to be there so I do not fall behind in class. If you would not mind sending me an email on what the class did today so I could catch up with them in my room. Sorry for any inconvenience, and I hope it will never happen again.
Sincerely,
Keith Scanlon

Hey Bobby,
I am skipping class today and going to go out with some friends and we are going to have the time of our lives. You should come and join us. We are going to go out to eat, and then go play some basketball. The weather today is supposed to be perfect so after some basketball we are going to play a pick-up game of flag-football. After that we are going to go grab a bite to eat to get ready for some “Halo 3.” I have never skipped a class before in my life and today is going to be amazing. Nothing is going on in English class right now so I am not going to really miss anything important. Hope you can come join us.
Hopefully see you soon,
Keith

In the first note to the professor, I was no outgoing, I acted like I did not feel well and wanted to do nothing. While in the second note to the friend I was very outgoing and energetic. I wanted to do so many things in so little time. In the first note my language was down and tired while the second one was happy and excited. My explanations were extremely different from the first one being sick. In the second one I was ready to take on the world, and I felt like I could do anything. I believe this is true due to the fact that one is a professor and the other is a friend. The professor can punish you and give you bad grades while the friend can just have a fun time with you. At times professors can be intimidating and you feel that you must perform to the best of your abilities.

Vincent E. said...

Professor Purdy,
Sorry I could not attend class this morning. I was actually on my way to class, but I was hit by the Brinks security truck that stops by St. Mary’s every day. I was taken to the hospital where I was diagnosed with a broken leg and a hemorrhage in my head. I wouldn’t be surprised if you didn’t hear about me, especially because I’m just a lowly freshman; and no one would care. However, do not worry about me, I will recover quickly and be back in class as soon as possible.
Aaron,
Ya; I slept through my alarm again. Even you hooking up your alarm to the 4.1 surround sound didn’t even help in waking me up. Although I did rip it out of the wall I still managed to fall back asleep, so I’m sorry about the mess in the room. In doing so I missed my English class…again. Somehow, I need to demise a story and make my teacher believe it. Hope you can help out.
In writing both of my stories or letters to Professor Purdy and my roommate, I found it much easier to think of a reason to why I missed class. With the use of my hypothetical language, I only bent the truth just a smidge bit in telling her why I wasn’t there. I had to be precise yet at the same time mischievous in my thinking. When writing to my friend I found it easier to talk to him, because it was easy for me just to tell him the truth, instead of lying. There are different levels of comfort when talking to a friend rather than an elder. It is easier to talk to a friend than it is someone who controls a part of your life.