Sunday, October 14, 2007

Blog 13: Interview Reflection

The question is simple enough: What did you learn from your interview?

DUE Sunday, October 21

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel that my interview was very beneficial. After going through all of the questions and spending time with my interviewee I realized that Pharmaceutical sales is something that I definitely want to look in to. I learned that there is a lot more writing involved in this career than I expected, which I do not mind. I also learned that the hours are very good and most of the time the sales representative has the option of choosing his or her own hours. This is something that I found very interesting and liked a lot about the job. I was surprised to find out that many hospitals are not letting doctors come in for meetings with doctors. The sales representatives now have to schedule separate meetings with the doctors to discus sales of drugs. I also found it interesting that there is not a specific major, or type of major, required to take for this career. My interviewee said that a person’s major is not a big deal when it comes to Pharmaceutical sales, which I guess is good for me seeing that I am a communication major. I learned that it is important to be able to work well with all types of people, and personality if a plays a key factor in being successful. Most importantly, I learned that this is the type if job I want to do and I think that it is definitely something that I want to pursue once I graduate from school. I am very happy that we were given the opportunity to do an interview and actually take the time to talk to someone in the field we are interested in.

Anonymous said...

I interviewed the Assistant Professor for the Sports Management program and I was so happy with my choice. Not only did I have a fun time talking with Dr. Daprano, I learned so much and she helped me with more than just my English project. I’m looking to get into the Sports management program so after she took the time to answer a few of my questions, she asked me what kind of student I was and helped me with what I have to do to get into the program.
During the interview, I learned a lot more about Sports Management then I thought I did. I did not think there would be as much writing as there is and I definitely did not think any research projects came along with the job. However, after she went into depth about what exactly she writes, I don’t think I’d mind. I learned that a lot of the work involves team or group efforts so you have to learn to get along and appreciate your co-workers.
Dr. Daprano and I talked a lot about how writing is involved with any job you are involved in so she told me a few pointers into taking advantage of these four years. Even though this is not the direction I’m looking to take, I also learned that you have to be able to teach a class when you’re involved with Sports Management in a University or another school.
While I was interviewing, I found out that Dr. Daprano and I are a lot alike. Dr. Daprano grew up playing sports her whole life and has a great passion for them, so of course she wanted her career to be involved with sports, and that is exactly what I am looking for. She hopes to be able to carry on a good message about sports world-wide and I thought that that was something to really look into as well.
After comparing the different types of “environments” I can get into with Sports Management, I most definitely feel that this is the right path for me.

Jacob M. said...

My interview was very beneficial to me in ways that I would have never thought of. My interviewee, Ron Coleman the CFO of MDE, was a very smart man that gave me insight to many of the different topics in the field of finance. There are not many things in my interview that I didn’t understand because he led up to different topics very well. I learned about different aspects of managing a company. I also learned what happens day-to-day around the office. There are many aspects of the company that I already know because I work in the warehouse at this company. My dad also works at this company and is the president of his division within the company.
I want to major in finance, and this interview gave me a good reference to see where I wanted to take my finance degree. I think by doing interviews like these it gives a person a head start to know what is going to happen in their career once they get into it. I want to make sure that I get into a career that suits me best because there is nothing worse than going to get your degree and starting to work and then hating it. This interview also gave me a layout for it I wanted to start my own business someday. If I wanted to go into my own business then I would have to know what kind of finance would have to be managed.
The biggest thing that I learned from this interview was that there is a lot of effort that goes to organization in order to see that the company runs better. A company that is well organized will in turn will make it more prosperous. In the long run it would be easier to keep track of different activity that happens from day to month to year. Each person has to be on the same page in order to fight for the same cause of having the most successful company as possible.

Anonymous said...

For my interview, I interviewed a doctor from my hometown. I enjoyed interviewing Dr. Rush because he gave me a lot of insight into what it takes to actually become a doctor and some of the sacrifices he had to make in order to achieve his dream. I already knew a lot about medical education in college and medical school but I didn’t know too much about residency. Dr. Rush was able to explain to me how residency works and what actually happens. In Dr. Rush’s residency, I was disheartened to hear that he worked between eighty and one hundred hours a week in the hospital! However, now federal rules mandate that residents can only work a maximum of eighty hours a week. It was interesting to hear how much work goes into four or more years of being a resident.
The most important thing that I got out of the interview was the advice he gave me. He told me that in college I should definitely take classes that I am interested in, excluding science classes, because I will most likely never have a chance to do it again. He pointed out to me that classes that help you look at society and individuals in today’s world are extremely important because doctors need to be able to relate to their patients, have people skills, and the ability to communicate to a wide range of people. Also, he told me some of the sacrifices he had to take when he was completing his schooling. He said that it was frustrating for him to be twenty-eight years old still in school and to see his friends who had graduated from college have real jobs, nice homes, and be making and putting away money. Dr. Rush said his only regret that he had was that he couldn’t start to put money away for his retirement and children as early as he would have liked to have started.
Another interesting topic that was brought about in the interview was that when I asked Dr. Rush what was the worst aspect of his job he said it was having to be on call. But the insight he brought to it was interesting because he said that if you want to be there for people you have to be available to them and the only way to do that is if you are on call. He said although he might have to wake up at two in the morning to get to the hospital, it is a necessary evil.
Overall, I realized through the help of Dr. Rush that if I want to become a doctor I had better be able to make some sacrifices in my life for the sake of others and be willing to work hard. He said that no matter what I do, I need to be passionate about it because every job has sacrifices in it and I have to be willing to accept those.

AB 200 said...

Professor Purdy, thank you very much for assigning this assignment. Not only did this assignment help me with writing in an interview format it also helped me with the potential field that I am considering going into. The assignment helped me with how to think of good solid questions that are not just a yes or a no. Also, how to listen to the interviewee’s response and then ask a follow up questions. Because maybe one time you will get a very important piece of information that you might not get if you did not ask that follow-up question. Also, I learned a lot about living the life of a sports journalist. While interviewing Bucky Albers, who for so many years was the head sports writer at the Dayton Daily News. He covered the Cincinnati Reds, Cincinnati Bengals, and Dayton Basketball etc. Mr. Albers told me that the hours of being a sports journalist are not the most ideal; actually he said the hours are awful. Because when he was working or covering a game, his family would be at home resting, and hanging out when he was at work. For a sports reporting you work when the sporting events are being held, and that typically is the evenings during the week, and during the day or maybe at night during the weekends. Also, I learned how important writing is. You could have sort of guessed how important writing is as a journalist but it truly is. Writing is the essential part to the job. Mr. Albers said that you can go to a baseball and watch the game and really enjoy yourself, but the most critical part is after the game when you will be graded or evaluated on your writing.

MarkD. said...

I learned a lot of information about the career that I want to pursue from interviewing a person in the field of work that I am interested in. I interviewed a mechanic that I know pretty well and he gave me some very good answerers to my questions. Although the person I interviewed did not use a lot of writing in his work, I still learned a lot about what it takes to become a mechanic as good as him. He told me about what kinds of education that it took for him to be able to get where he is today. He had taken classes during high school that taught him the basics about the mechanic trade and furthered his education by working for a car dealership. He also told me a lot about running your own business. I do not really have a desire to start my own business, but I was neat to hear about what it is like to do that. He can start his day whenever he feels like, but that also means that he might have to work late to get the work done if he decides to put it off. He can also take time off any tome he wants to talk with friends and family. I asked him if he liked not having a boss and he told me that he thinks of all his customers as his bosses, and I think that’s very true. If you’re the only one that the customer is dealing with, then you have to make sure that the customer is pleased with everything you do, like you are trying to please a boss in a corporate office. He also told me about how basically all cars are the same and that he can work on basically any tpe of can and be able to figure out what the problem is. I thought that was pretty interesting because I thought that the cars were pretty different, but I was wrong. He did not seem too worried about the new technologies that cars were being developed. I thought that he might have to learn about the new technologies but he said that people were going to stick to modern cars for a while. I think that I benefited a lot form the interview and learned much about what I want to do with the rest of my life.

Phil M. said...

I saw the interview assignment not as an assignment but more as a guide. It was one of those assignments where there were not a lot of guidelines. I do not know if anyone else saw it like I did but it made the students widen their views of a possible career or careers. As I was writing down the questions for my interviewee, I thought of questions that could possibly hinder my decision in choosing this particular career. I would not say that I did not learn anything from the interview because I did. I did not learn anything from the assignment itself as I did from the interviewee answering my questions.
When I was growing up as a small child I always wondered what I would do for a living. In my early stages of life I always wanted to be an engineer. However, as I got older, I saw more deeply in what it takes to be in that field. Math; this was one of those subjects where I do not succeed often. I struggle more often than not and I slowly pushed myself away from the ways of an engineer. It was hard because I was sure that was what I wanted to do.
I have looked at many other possible careers. I have taken surveys that show what fields a certain personality should look into. However, when I looked over the fields I was not interested in what I saw. But those are only survey right? I mean they cannot be totally correct can they? When I talk to my family or friends they always tell me to do something that I love doing. It suddenly made me think of other careers I would be interested in.
When I received the email back from my interviewee, I was excited to see his responses. His answers were very enlightening because they showed what it took to be a doctor. At first it was intimidating because I was reading the responses from a very well respected and professional internist. It is not the many years of school, but the courses I am more worried about. Such as chemistry, I was not good at it but the subject took longer to comprehend. The life sciences were the courses I was actually excited about. All in all, when I look at the interview assignment, it was not the assignment I learned from but the person I interviewed.

Christian M. said...

After completing my interview I learned a great deal more of what an engineer does each day and how they can affect peoples lives, not directly but through their talent they can improve the world around us.
They don’t use calculus every day and they don’t use chemistry either. To be a good engineer is to be a good team player, to play your part in the team and work together towards a common project. That’s the most important skill to have as an engineer.
I also learned that most engineers use writing every day. They send e-mails organizing projects and giving tasks, they write proposals for projects and reports telling if they worked and how they can be improved. Tons of skills that are used are taught in English class are used.
He told me that the most important classes are your math, because all of engineering is math based. Every major is math; just each major goes in a little different direction in math class. If you like math then you’ll be a good engineer.
It was a great experience interviewing an engineer, having him tell me what he does and what he wished he should have done differently in college. I learned a great deal of information which is very valuable and useful.

Anonymous said...

For my interview I interviewed my hometown’s city engineer. I had previously made contact with him and he helped me decide that I wanted to pursue engineering more. In the past year I have done many informal type of interviews with civil engineers and engineers in general to see exactly what I was getting myself in. So as far as learning things directly related to civil engineering, I didn’t learn that much. I found out that there are many different things that engineers do that are not related to engineering at all. I learned that a big part of engineering is learned after you have graduated from college. There really is no final step, but rather a continuous learning process that goes on forever. Also, being able to communicate well is essential. Engineers have to both be able to explain things in engineering terms and also in terms that everyone can understand. This is traditionally difficult for engineers. Engineers do write quite often and in many forms including email, letters and proposals. He told me that they do lots of technical writing and that was something that he had to learn on the job. One thing that I found most interesting was that he said he doesn’t think that writing poetry or understanding it ever helped him any. This is the thing that I will probably remember most about the interview. He said that engineering is lots of math and that he does some sort of math every day. He says he doesn’t do much calculus but he does on occasion. I’m glad that we had his assignment because I asked some questions that I wouldn’t ask in informal conversation. The hardest part of this project was to come up with the questions that I was going to ask him. And it ended up that I didn’t even ask him some of the questions because the conversation went a different direction.

SamanthaM. said...

My interview with Doctor Andrew Murry was very beneficial to me. I asked him several questions about why he chose to be a doctor and I learned that a lot of people don’t know what they want to be right away. Dr. Murry told me that he did not decide to go pre-med until his junior year in college. He had already taken science courses so he was able to graduate on time but until then he was very uncertain about what he wanted to do. He chose to be a doctor because you can do several things in med school. First, there are several different types of doctors to choose from and second, there are different things you can do with a doctoral degree. You can be a regular doctor, you can do research in a lab or on your own, and several other things. He really liked the fact that it gave him a lot of options and that way he could take his time in deciding what he wanted to be for the rest of his life. Dr. Murry told me a story about how his mom died of breast cancer his junior year in college and he thought that might have affected his decision in some ways as well. He said he wanted to be able to fix the people that the other doctors were not able to fix. This made me realize how important being a doctor really is because so many people are putting their lives in your hands. They want you to help them, save them. This interview has really inspired me. I was not really sure what I wanted to do, I went from wanted to be a kindergarten teacher to wanting to go pre med. That is kind of a big stretch. Plus, I wasn’t exactly sure about being a doctor… I mean I am still sort of worried just because I am afraid that I am not smart enough, but I really want to be a doctor now. I want to be the person that people look to for advice, to save their lives. I want to help people. I think that this interview really helped me decide completely on being a doctor. I still am worried about not being smart enough, but I am definitely going to try my best. I am so grateful that Dr. Murry let me interview him because he really gave me some great insight into being a doctor. We talked about Med School and residency, what he liked and disliked, and how much he loved what he is doing. I want to do something I love. I don’t want to be that person, the person that hates their job and always complains. I want to be the person that says, guess what I did today, and be happy about it. That’s the person I want to be.

Avery C. said...

While I was interviewing my old tutor Wendy I learned some very interesting things. I thought I knew all the jobs she had but I didn’t! I also had to help her remember what jobs she had because she had forgotten some of them! I didn’t realize how challenging her job actually was and how long she went to school! I knew it was very hard, working with kids with disabilities. My brother has Down syndrome but it slightly different from living with a child with a disability to working with a child with a disability. He is my brother so sometimes I do get a little mad at him but when you are working with someone else with a disability you can’t get as frustrated! I also have seen my tutor in a different light. I see her as my tutor who came to my house to work on math problems and other work that I needed. When I heard her talk about her job as a special education teacher she really really enjoyed it, it was challenging but I could tell in her voice that she loves working with children. I also learned things that I didn’t know about her, that she was born in Connecticut, why she selected the college she went to. Overall I learned many things and how demanding it is to be a teacher and all the places you have to work and apply to find the right job that is right for you. Wendy has been to many different schools and it took her sometime to find where she loved, and she is still working there today. She has taken some time off because she had twins so it’s been about two years since she went back to work. She told me when we are done with my interview that she couldn’t believe it’s been that long since she has been at work! We were both so shocked about how fast time goes, she has known me for so long and it feels like yesterday she worked with me at my house doing simple math problems and reading terrible books I hated to read! I learned a lot interviewing Wendy I would love with kids with disabilities, not one day is the same always different, new challenge that’s what makes it so much fun and interesting!

Abdullah said...

I feel that I benefited many things from my interview with Dr. Riad. At the beginning I was planning to major in business, but after awhile I changed my mind to be an engineer. I thought that engineering does not require a lot of writing, but actually it does. I used to think just business requires writing; however, from my interview I learned that engineers use a lot of writing everyday. They write respond e-mails to students, or the administration, requesting documents from staff members, research papers, proposal, etc. I also learned if you want to be a good engineer, you have to make a lot of effort and do not procrastinate so that you can be successful in the future. Dr. Riad told me if you do not like math, you will not be a good engineer. This is the most important point you have to know and keep it in your mind. Another thing that I learned from interview which is you have to select a major that you are interested in so that you can enjoy doing it every minute of every hour of everyday. Unfortunately, there are some people who choose a major that is not their desire because their parents or friends force them to choose as their father's, or mother's major. If you select a major that is not your desire, you will not do very well in it, so you have choose a major that you are good at and content.
Honestly, I learned a lot of things from my interview and it was a wonderful experience interviewing an engineer. I also learned numerous information that I did not know before and I think these new information is very essential and valuable.

Danny said...

Through my interview with my brother I learned many fascinating things. This helped me knowledge about what he plans to do with his life. I was always under the impression that my brother was still in that growing stage. I thought that he had not quite grown out of his college years. Although he is only a mere twenty-three and a little over a year out of college he still seemed hooked on the relaxed life. Now, after interviewing him, I know how wrong I was. He has the full intent at going somewhere with his life. After graduating from college I was under the impression that he wanted to work in an embassy of some sort. Now, after this interview I have come to learn that he has moved past that interest and is now looking towards a career in international business. I learned so much about what this experience has helped him to learn, about how he has become more open to new cultures and how he has picked up a greater work ethic. Through this interview I have seen many changes in my brother’s personality that I had not seen before. I hope that after graduating from Dayton I can partake in a similar experience. He helped to explain to me some of the things that I will need to know and learn before I can enter such a career. I learned the hardships as well as the positive aspects of working in Korea. I also learned why Korea, as well as when I make similar decisions I need to research the background of each place to find the location that will best suite me. This interview has had a profound effect on me, it has taught me many things and helped my knowledge of my brother to become more clear as well as my knowledge of myself, my goals and my future.

KHensman said...

When I received the assignment to interview someone in our career field, I was excited. That is because I never really knew what chemical engineers do. I decided to be a chemical engineer because I loved chemistry and engineering was a good career field to go into, so I decided to become a chemical engineer. When I had to find someone to interview, I was kind of lost. All the chemical engineers I know work in Cleveland and I did not want to do the interview over the phone or through e-mail. That is when I asked Ms. Hart if I could interview her. She is the first year advisor for chemical engineers and she use to work in a plant.
I learned a lot from her interview. I always heard how there is a “glass ceiling” in the engineering workplace and I wondered if she thought it was true. She said that there really isn’t a “glass ceiling” but women chose to be mothers instead of really trying to reach those higher positions. This made me think, it made me look at how society always says that it is a male dominated workplace, which I think it is, but that is because there is not enough women that want to work those long hours and be away from home. Instead, they would rather work part-time and be with their family.
Another thing that I learned that, a processing engineer needs a chemical engineering degree. There are a lot of possibilities that come with a chemical engineering degree and Ms. Hart decided to work in a plant and help optimize their out-put and make sure everything is safe. Personally, I want to go more into the chemistry side then managing. I would rather play with the chemicals then make sure everyone is safe. I want to go into research and that’s the thing Ms. Hart actually disliked the most. I was happy to see that some fields in chemical engineering are flexible and you are not doing the same thing every day. I couldn’t work at a job that I did the same thing over and over again.

Maureen L. said...

I thought that my interview was very interesting. I think that it helped me to understand what nursing conisted of. It really helped to sit down with Anna and talk about it face to face, I got to actually see from a nurses perspective what it is all about. Of couse it is nothing like doing hands on work for this, but it helped to ask the questions I was truely interested in.
She is such an interesting person, and I am so glad that I had the chance to interview her. I can tell by her passion for nursing she truely cares about it, and she truely cares about her patients. She taught me that it will really help when you have a family of your own. it is a great proffession when you have children because you will be able to help them with their medical needs. This really made me think about if I really want to do nursing. I know that I would have to work extremely hard. math and science are not my favorite subjects, so I would be extremely nervous about undertaking this.
I have also spoken to my mom about nursing because she is a nurse, and she absolutely loves it. She says that sometimes it gets really hard, but I think that it is expected from any career. I think that at some point it is normal for people to get annoyed and second guess themselves from choosing their professions.

Meghan D said...

After my interview with Tom Heutter I learned more about engineering than I had going into it. I learned that you don’t necessarily have to be a whiz at math or science, although it is a necessary foundation, the most important thing is being able to work together in groups. I realized that while a may not want to work with respiratory products, chemical engineers have a wide range of job opportunities available to them. Even though professors tell me about the opportunities, hearing it from someone who has actually went through what I’m about to go through and who have worked in the field. For me the interview was a way to get a feel for what it’s going to be like working as an engineer. It also allowed me to see if I would want to work for that particular company and to see how a day working there would kind of be like. The information about engineering was helpful, but by far the most important information that Mr. Heutter wanted me to understand was to have fun. He said that when he went to Princeton he was all work and no play; he barely had any fun. He told me to get involved and meet people. Companies, he said, don’t just look at grades; they look to see that you are a well rounded individual. They don’t necessarily want someone who is only book smart, they want someone who can interact with other people and can contribute ideas to a group. I really enjoyed talking to Mr. Heutter and I feel like I learned so much from him. Thank you for assigning the interview Professor Purdy. Even though in the beginning I felt like this was going to be a hassle of having to set up a time to interview someone and get to the place you were going to interview them. It all changed when I got there and started talking to him. I think that you should definitely do this in future years.

JDLV200 said...

I learned a lot of things from my interview but for the most parts the things I learned the must and the ones that I’m going to remember for the rest of my life are the ones like to stay with my philosophy on how to play the game, you have to be prepare to climb the later and the most important one is that you have to have passion for the game if you really one to be successful in this field. My interview was a very realistic because it shows me what I have to do and how to do it. For example right now I am working with the baseball team as the manager this experience help me a lot because I can see what it takes from me to accomplish what I want. Also the experience of working with the person that I interview in this case coach Vittorio helps me a lot because he knows a lot of people in the baseball field and in the short time I have meet a couple of people that can help me later get a job. The interview helped me a lot because I know a lot about baseball but sometimes I don’t know how to approach it. Now I feel more prepare to fallow my philosophy on how to play the game and I have experience begin me that can help me reach my goals. The time of the interview was suppose to be one hour but I enjoy it so much that we ended up talking for around 2 hours . There’s so much to talk about in baseball in this case I was surprise on the answer of what his biggest accomplish went he answer that helping young man become man is it considering that what in this field what keeps you in your job is mainly winning games but he helped me see that winning is important but there’s also other things that you enjoy coaching baseball. So this interview was a very special experience for me because it shows me one more time that this is what I want to do for the rest of my life.

Anonymous said...

During our interview assignment I interviewed 2LT Wall on his career in the military. I had a great interview with him and I believe since I was related to him I could ask in-depth questions that if I had interviewed others they would think of them as being two personal. Although you asked us not to write it on a family member I believe interviewing a family member allowed me to learn a lot more of the truth within the career that I plan to be in.
This assignment was very beneficial in multiple ways. It gave me the ability to interview somebody in the career that I want to be in and also give me some background information on what is needed to begin a successful career in the military. This assignment also gave me the skills to interview someone. I now have the confidence to sit down with somebody and ask them questions without getting nervous. One of the last things that it helped me with actually has to do with English. It not only taught me what writing I will need in the career I want but also showed me how to write and interview and from intelligent questions.
Many things that I learned in this interview made me want to fast forward through college and start my career as soon as possible. While I was learning about all the hands on work that I will be doing instead of sitting behind a desk and doing paper work I got extremely excited about starting my career. Also, as I asked 2LT Wall about the schools that he has gone to in order to better himself as a soldier and learned about all the fun things there are to do in the Army I began to wonder what type of schools I would like to attend. When I got the chance to ask questions about religion and family I was able to get a true personal insight on how things like these affect a person when there in a career like the military that asks for you to perform things that might go against the religion you believe in. Also, I know that I would love to have a family one day and when I asked 2LT Wall how he and his wife were able to deal with being separated by their careers so early on in their life he did not lie to me or make it sound better than it really was he told me the truth that it was hard and extremely difficult.
Assigning this interview was a great and helpful assignment in so many ways. I was able to learn about how writing affected my career, my career in general as well as how to construct and interview. I could not ask for a better assignment that touched on so many different important topics.

Kevin S. said...

Although I interviewed my dad, I did learn some interesting things. My dad played football all through high school and was very successful. He was a long snapper for La Salle high school. Not long after he decided to play for western Kentucky on a scholarship. My dad would soon transfer to Xavier Universtiy to play football, ironically Xavier dropped football the year he transferred, 1973.
During the interview my dad was able to give me some pointers and some tips on what not to do. He answered my questions with ease and understood me very well. I was satisfied with the answers I got and the information given. This interview helped me realize what marketing and sales is all about. It is about talking and exchanging information with people, working with people. The job is primarily dealing with people and how he communicates with his contacts. The biggest thing that I will remember is when I asked if contacts were big in his job. My dad clearly said with no hesitation he would be nowhere without contacts , they are 90% to 100% of his success. I learned my dad is very passionate at being successful and presenting his contacts with quality products. He feels that every company and every contact should be well represented.
When thinking about a career I get nervous. I start asking myself question like am I doing the right thing, did I pick the right major, is this the job for me? These questions scare me into double guessing myself. Life is about chances and taking chances can either get you success or failure. In order to take this chance you must believe you are doing the right thing and making the right choices. My dad took a chance and his choice has paid off well. He admits at the beginning it was a risk but now that he has experience and has no worries. It is something that will take time but in that time I will learn what is right for me and what’s the best way for me to jump into the situation just as my dad did.

Anonymous said...

I feel that the interview was pretty beneficial to my understanding of the field I'm going into. By interviewing someone in the field I am pursuing I really feel as if I got a better insight to the way things are really going to be. I feel that there is a lot of things that stock brokers do that, had I not interviewed, would not have known. My interviewee was Janet Riser is who is stock broker at Merrill Lynch. I was very happy that I was able to get an interview with her because she is very nice and really elaborated on the job. She told me what her salary was voluntarily which I thought was really nice because a lot of times people will say everything possible about the job but not tell you how much they make but we are working for money. So I feel to research a job and not find out how much you could potentially be making is stupid. She told me what is stressful about the field but also what is very rewarding. She also informed me what classes she found most useful and what topics to really zero in on. The thing I found most beneficial is the insight of the actual firm. She kinda gave me an overview of how the day goes and what is good about it and what is boring. I feel that this would be a fun job now, but I am still unsure about if I truly want to go into this field. You can research a lot about what job you want to do but I don't really think you know until you can shadow those people for a day. If you can shadow those people youdon't really have a good understanding of what they do or what it is like to be in the workplace. Now that I have interviewed a stock broker I would really like to interview someone in the medical field as well.

DavidB. said...

I feel that my interview just made me even more confident in my career choice. I feel as if I've got my heart set on Engineering. I'm not really sure what else to say about my interview. I didn't learn alot more than I already didn't know. The best think I took from my interview is not to be afraid to make mistakes. I believe this will help me to make a better person of myself also.

Vincent E. said...

I felt that I learned a lot from my interview. Besides from learning about the job and what it took for him to get to where he is now, I also learned how he believes his occupation is his calling in life. Through out the interview, I had asked questions what it took him to become where he is today. After learning what classes he had to take and all the hard work that he had put into it, it almost made me discouraged. However, he told me that when it is all said and done that it was worth it. Although I do not want to become a dentist, I do look forward to entering the field of medicine. I also understand all the work that I have to do to become what I want in life. Through everything I also came to realize how or what I want to be when I get older. No matter what my profession is, all I want is to be happy with what it is I am doing. I also learned that I have to go one specific way with my major. Although I am biology major, I learned that I have to either chose the way of biochemistry or aerobiology, especially since I am in Air Force ROTC. With the help of going the Air Force, I have a greater chance of getting into medical school, which Dr. Holloway told me would be hard to get into. I enjoyed doing this interview. Not only was it beneficial for me. It was also beneficial to my relationship and also my teeth.

Anonymous said...

In my interview with Jeff Jones, I learned what it was like for him to become an art teacher and what it is like to be an art teacher in general. I asked him a numerous amount of questions from his background to his current position in the art field. It was very interesting to learn about his childhood and how he came to be an art teacher. Jeff Jones is a professor at the University of Dayton in the art department.
I learned that Jeff is a very humble man and appreciates life. On the family side, he had two sisters. One was a stepsister, who was younger, and they both had the same birthday. He said, “No one can plan out that one.” When he was growing up he was highly involved with theater and had no clue he wanted to be an art teacher. He did not realize that he loved art until his junior year in college. After that, his passion was art and nothing could get in his way.
Jeff explained many things to me about art education. He told me that he got his job fairy quickly right out of graduate school after his part-time job with the university. I asked what he loved about his job. The things he loves most about his job is when the students get that moment of epiphany. Also, he believes that his job is the coolest job in the world. This is because he says that any day in the studio is better than any day in a suit and a tie. Along with that, Jeff mentions that he is not a great speaker, while in my eyes he is one of the best speakers I have ever interacted with. Jeff says that failure is not always a bad thing. I asked Jeff what kind of advice he would give someone who was thinking about entering this field. He replied with, “That person needs to be open, responsive, and take risks. Not only that, but also that person needs to know that failure is not a bad things, but can be a very good thing.” Finally, I asked Jeff if he was good at art all his life and he replied with a “No.” So, I hope one day that I will become a successful art teacher like Jeff one day.

MeganP. said...

The perfect dinner party is hard to think of. It should be people of importance, but the people have to be able to get along. It would be Ben Roethisberger, Jerome Bettis, Bill Cowher, Hines Ward, and Casey Hampton. These are all Steelers that I love! I obsessed with the Steelers and I would love to ask them some questions. I would probably serve them Primanti sandwiches. A Primanti sandwich is a Pittsburgh trademark sandwich that has basically whatever meat with coleslaw on it. Since this is all Pittsburgh, it will all be Pittsburgh themed. We would eat the sandwiches at the Primanti restaurant.
Once we all get there, I would probably ask all of them different things. First, I would ask Ben Roethlisberger about his life, and how he lives it. I would want to find out if he is a jerk or not too. Also, I would ask about his experience overall with starting with nothing as a Steeler until now winning a Super Bowl and everything that has come with it.
I would discuss with Jerome Bettis the hardship he has had to deal with from being young until now. Another thing that would be talked about is when he switched from the Rams to the Steelers, and what he expected to get from it. The thoughts of the Super Bowl or doubts he has had to deal with would really interest me. I also want to know what he has been doing with his time since he has retired. There has been a book he has written that just came out that shows controversy about his relationship with Cowher and other things. It would be interesting to see their interactions and feelings of what was really said.
Hines Ward would be a very interesting Steeler. He has given so much back to his home country, Korea. When he was young, he dealt with racism and hard relationships with his parents. I would be curious to know how becoming an NFL player has changed it, and how it is to have his own show.
Bill Cowher would probably be most interested to talk with. I really want to know the reasons of why he left the Steelers. Also, I would want to know if he would come back to coach, and who it would be. I would also want to know how it would be like to have a family and coaching a football team. How he dealt with losing a game or even worse was when lost the Super Bowl the first time would be some other things I would want to know about. He had gone through a lot with AFC Championships and Super Bowls, but then finally got a win in the Super Bowl against the Seahawks.
I would probably just want to watch Casey Hampton eat. He is a humongous man. I’ve watched a show that showed him eating dinner, and he about four plates of food piled on. It was insane.
With all of them together I would want to talk about their whole experience of winning the Super Bowl and the games that they had to win to get there. Also, how it felt to do something that no one had ever done before (be sixth seed in the playoffs and win the Super Bowl). I would want to know if they ever had problems with each other, and what they are. Then ask them if they could be something else, what would it be or if they ever wanted to just quit the NFL. The thoughts from he players about their new coach Mike Tomlin would be very interesting. Especially Cowher, on how he thinks Tomlin coaches. That dinner probably would be the best dinner party of my life because I love watching the Steelers, and I am a huge fan of all of them. Also, they all have had to deal with hardships to get where they are.

MeganP. said...

Surprisingly, I learned a lot. I had interviewed John Krawczyk who has been very successful as being part owner of a construction supplies company and a manager of one of the yards in Jacksonville, Florida. He has dealt with a lot, which after conducting the interview I learned a lot about him especially because he is my uncle.
He gave me a lot of direction of what to do in college, and what helped him. He told me about how important public speaking and accounting classes were. I asked him about the importance of the classes that don’t pertain with my major. John told me that he has not used any of it for his job. However, he said that it helps when he tries to get clients, and speaking with them. He kept saying that it helps socially, but not doing his actual job. He did say how important writing is, and to be able to do it well. I learned that I need to work on this because I have horrible writing skills. Also, it makes it worse that these days we have spell check to fix our mistakes, which is good and bad.
Another thing that I learned was about how it was for him getting a job after going through college. With the accounting degree, he was able to get many different jobs when he finished college. He also was in the same situation as me. He wants to have a broad degree, such as accounting, but not be an accountant. My uncle gave me direction of what he has gone through, and how to deal with it.
Personally, I learned more of what he really wanted to be. I always figured that this was his dream. But, I learned that he really wants to be a writer. I would have never imagined him as being a writer. It really gave me a different perspective of him. Also, I learned in order to do this that he would wait until he sold his company, which I never even thought that was an option for him.
Also, I learned some of the good and bad things that come with a job like that. Especially with dealing with people, you have to be prepared to deal with all sorts of different things. Also, to do what I want to do is that I will have to be able to be able to interact with people well. He also made me think of the options that I will most likely be dealing with. He had said the benefits for working for a smaller company compared to working with a larger company. Another problem with being a boss is that most of the time it is your fault of what is going on. I would have to prepare myself with dealing with consequences, and most of the time it probably won’t even be my own fault. He made me realize that I need to think about a lot of aspects with picking a major, what to do with the major, and to realize the aspects of different jobs.
Overall he made me think of all the aspects of having my degree, what to do with it, and how to get at a position where you can be successful and happy. My uncle also made me realize that I can still have a job, and have other dreams. Also, that you can still pursue your dreams while just be financially motivated. There were personal things that I didn’t know about him too. This interview was able to show me a different side of him that I would generally not think of him as.

Anonymous said...

Though my interview was not exactly with who I planned on interviewing, it still was very interesting and a career I may want to pursue. I planned on interviewing a friend of mine’s older brother who is a stage manager for the band Boys like Girls. Unfortunately he never called me back so instead I interviewed a close friend of the family, Bill Sullivan, or as we call him Sully. At first I was not very interested in Sully’s job; he sells railroad insurance. However, after talking to him and hearing more about his job it sounds like something that I may be interested in. My dream is to be in the music management business, however if that doesn’t work out a job like Sully’s is something I may want to consider. Sully s job sounded boring to me at first but then he explained to me what it entails and its not as boring as I thought. He explained to me how is job is basically making the clients happy. He’s taken clients to fancy spas, nice dinners, bears games, sox games, and even to the Jerry Springer show, all to seal the deal. I had no idea his job could be that much fun. I have to take into account though that he’s been working with his company, AON for over twenty years so he has one of the best jobs there. I had to remind myself that though trips across the world to beautiful countries like England or Ireland sound amazing Sully’s been working with his company for a long time and had to work extremely hard to get to the point he’s at today. I learned that, like any job, there is writing involved, more so than I would have expected. He often puts together long documents and presentations both which are a lot of writing. And Sully also explained to me that he wasn’t a big fan of writing in school but he learned to deal with it since it’s going to a part of everyone’s life whether they want it to or not. Going into this interview I was not very interested in Mr. Sullivan’s job. I had it built up in my head that I was going to be interviewing a manager to one of my favorite bands so when I was unable to contact him I wasn’t exactly thrilled to be interviewing someone who sells railroad insurance. After the interview, however, I found myself eating my words. There are a lot of surprising benefits that go along with Sully’s job, benefits that I would love to have when I work hard at my job in the future.

Anonymous said...

I borrowed a car from my friend and drove to a Big Boy near Dayton to meet up with Paul Nash who is a mechanical engineering technologist. Before I went to the interview I made a list of questions to ask him, in order to get the full effect of the interview.
During the interview I learned a lot about what I could be doing when I graduate from college. I found out that my GPA in college is a very important thing to care about. It will help me get a good job if I get good grades. He helped me understand that the classes I am taking in college now will help me out when I am at my job, and how important they are to take. Before the interview I felt that some of my classes were a pointless waste of my time. I now feel that it is important to take English so that I will have good writing skills when I’m dealing with customers.
Paul explained to me what type of things he was interested in when he was younger. It turns out that I am very similar to him, and we both have the same strengths and weaknesses. This helped assure me that I am in the right career field, and that I made a good choice. He was very good in industrial arts, and he loved fixing things. Just like Paul I loved industrial arts, and I spent all of my time in high school, in the shop. It was the only good thing about my day at school. I also love to take things apart, and seeing how they work.
After we ate lunch, Paul took me back to his company and showed me around. I got to go into the shop, and see the machines that Paul was building. It was really cool to see what goes into creating a machine that does certain processes. It reminds me a lot of the television show How It’s Made. I would love to be building machines like that for a job. I would get to use my hands, and not sit in an office all day long. I am the type of person that has to be moving around and doing things. I can’t just sit inside all day, and be satisfied.
The interview was an awesome experience, and I’m glad that I got the chance to do it. I was very nervous going into the interview, and by the end I was asking all sorts of questions off the top of my head. So I also built up my ability to interview people I don’t know. I am a shy person, and I have a hard time talking to complete strangers, especially when I have the floor for most of the conversation. I did good though, and next time I have to do something like this, I won’t be so nervous, and I will do event better at it.

Anonymous said...

What did I learn from my interview?
Well Rachael was very helpful on her advice on being successful in the business field. She said to always be open-minded, stay respected, be independent, be strong willed, and to be a team leader. You also need to remember that you cannot succeed by yourself. Another very important piece of advice is to not to demand respect, but to earn it through your actions. I thought that could have been the best thing anyone could have said because it is exactly what I need to consider. I believe what she said as well; I have the same feelings. I also learned that I would be writing every day, only in small sums, but I thought writing would go away with school but it is not. I will always need to write no matter what I do forever. So probably all these blogs I am writing right now are helping me in the long run of things. I learned that a job in a business that would seem boring can actually be fun and you get to use your creativity a lot. She still gets to interact with kids and parents and she is exposed to all lot of different people, whether it be their attitude, race, or background. There are lots of different people and you have to be willing to except them and their beliefs and be willing to work out a problem with them. Rachael loves her job that she holds right now and I hope someday that I will love my job as well. I want to want to go to work. I do not want to dread waking up or prolong my shower just for me to motivate myself to make it to work. That would be horrible but some people do in the world because they get paid the big bucks and then in return do not have to worry about paying the bills or saving up to have enough for the down payment on a car or a house. I do not know which is the better life, but I would pick the more enjoyable work.

BradleyL. said...

My interview with a Colonel in the United States Military not only benefited my knowledge towards my potential career, but also gave me another standpoint on the war in Iraq, military life, and the respect that comes with the title of being an officer in the military.
It was good that he treated me as a peer instead of an opportunity to recruit. I enjoyed our side conversations that I did not write down, because he gave me a perspective that I will always use when approaching any problem or controversy. He told me to stay calm and take both sides into consideration as to not present any bias. Giving an opportunity to judge always use the honesty rule. Whichever statement or argument seems more honest, precise, and less dramatic is the side that is not trying to either short side or lie to you.
Presenting pauses in the conversation, he asked me what were my thoughts on the idea or what I got out of the question. I thought that was interesting that he would take me into consideration as he answers my questions keeping the conversation alive and now it began as a two way discussion.
Following the interview he asked me a couple of questions about the University and how everything with my dad was going. He was very friendly and conducted himself very professionally. Ensuring that I got everything I needed he signed off and left me with all the information and more that I needed.

DestinyL. said...

I interviewed Mr. Steve Wynn, a teacher at Kids College in Korea and I feel like I’ve learned many things from my interview. I learned that writing is used every day, regardless of what career a person may have. Writing can be used in reports, report cards, memos, lists, brainstorming, editing, etc. Also, I’ve learned that with my major in Political Science/International Studies I can do many things. Mr. Wynn was able to put all of his passions together to create a career. He was able to travel and learn about many different cultures, help people, study other languages, teach, and work with kids. He helped me realize that although I may have to concentrate my studies in one thing in college, later when I graduate I can put everything I like together to find the perfect career.
I’ve also learned not to take my major as serious as I normally do. Mr. Wynn was able to major and economics and he still managed to find a career that he loves with no relation to his major. I think I could learn a lot from that. I sometimes feel that I worry myself wondering what I’m going to do with majors in Political Science/International Studies and eventually a minor in International Human Rights, but I understand now that I should focus on here and now and try to study my interests and intern as much and as early as possible.

Mustafa A. said...

My interview was really beneficial for me because of many things. Before I did my interview, I was wondering how my job will look like and what I will be doing for the rest of my life. Now, I am more interested in my major after I knew many important things about my job in the future. My interviewee Majdi, who is a mechanical engineering major, has worked at the same company that I am looking to work at when I finish my study.
One of the things that I wanted to know about my future job is if I have to do a lot of writing or not and the answer was yes. My interviewee told me that he had to write reports everyday. Another thing I was wondering about is that if I have to work with groups or not and he side that the work can not be done if he did not work in group. That is a thing that I like about my major which is working with groups. One of my questions that I asked Majdi is if he used everything he studied in the university in his job. He said that he only used 5-15 % form what he studied in the university in his job, but the rest are to make you prepared for any developments. This topic was being discussed in class on Friday by the students and the professor.

Anonymous said...

I surprisingly learned a lot from my interview. To be honest I didn’t think I would learn that much because the person that I interviewed I have known for almost all my life, so I thought it would be sort of boring and an exchange of information that I already knew about him. But I found out that I actually really learned a lot about the field of study that I am interested in. Part of the reason why I want to be an engineer is because I thought that I would not have to take any more English classes because I didn’t think I would need a lot of English experience. But after my interview I realized that he really does use a lot more English related material than I thought including reports and other stuff like that. I think that my interview also helped me to understand what being an engineer is all about. I have always known that engineering was a difficult field to go into but I never realized how much work it really was. There is a lot of math involved and a lot of hours when you work. When I interviewed Mr. Doughty he said that there were some times when he would have to go and visit the sights at very strange hours and sometimes even worked all night long. There is a lot of time and effort that you must put into this line of work. One thing that I learned that I was very excited about was the fact that engineering is a very hands-on field of work, which is something that I always wanted in a job someday because I don’t want to sit in a cubicle from 8 to 5 everyday. I think that would be so boring if I had to work at a job that was like that. Overall I think that the interview was very beneficial and I enjoyed the entire activity and was able to get a lot out of it.

Anonymous said...

I was very surprised to learn that the doctor I interviewed actually enjoyed writing. I went into the interview assuming that doctors never used writing and actually disliked the topic. Doctor Frires totally changed my view on how the medical profession uses, and views writing. I went into the interview thinking of course doctors wouldn’t like writing, I mean why would they? In my mind doctors are science guys who shouldn’t have any need for writing.
I learned that just because doctors are men or women of science that doesn’t mean that they haven’t used writing to get them to where they are. I found out that doctors use writing in lab reports, case studies, patient history files, and research files. These types of writing don’t exactly leave room for much creative style, but it is writing none the less. I learned that just because someone is focused on a specific field it doesn’t mean that they can’t be interested in other ideas.
There is a large amount of writing in the medical profession, but it isn’t writing in the creative sense we think about. When I think about writing I imagine creative pieces that leave room for the creators flare and personality. The medical profession doesn’t really have the opportunity to add much flare due to the parameters of medical policies and standardization, but writing is very prevalent in the profession.