Monday, November 26, 2007

Blog 22: LAST BLOG ENTRY

I designed this course to revolve around work because I discovered that so many of my students hadn't thought about work in any meaningful way. How has this course affected the way you see work and your future? Which aspects of work do you think about differently?

DUE Wednesday, Decemeber 5

30 comments:

Vincent E. said...

Through my first English course here at the University, I came to realize that the amount of work for this class would catch up on you if you did not keep up. Unfortunately, I found that out the hard way. In the beginning, it was always hard for me to keep up with the blog entries. I would always put my blogs off till Sunday night and by then 9 o’clock had already passed. I eventually became better in checking my blogs and completing them on time. However, once I started it seemed that I would fall behind in my other classes or other papers for the class. The affect that it has on me right now, is still going on, especially since it is towards the end of the semester. It seems as if every professor is piling on the work load right towards the end just to see if we can keep up with the challenges at hand.
The work load that is given these next few weeks, will ultimately determine my final semester grades. Hopefully my grades will turn out to be good and that I will have a good winter break and have my parents be proud of me, or at least not mad. Next semester, I look for the work to become even harder given my new schedule. I feel that I will need to completely change all my work and study habits and especially my sleeping habits. Although, the work load will increase and my habits will change I feel that this semester will help prepare me for next semester and the following years to come. However, I hope that my study habits will improve and that I will do better.

Anonymous said...

Coming into this course, I did not think that we would be learning about work and our futures, but I feel that I have read more about careers and the job market then I ever have before. In the first week of class, I liked how we opened up with job, career or a calling. It was easy learning the difference and giving my opinion on describing what I feel each one truly means. At first, I did not think that we would continue to talk about the subject but I think all of my projects so far this year have been summarized around the topic.
While I was doing my interview with Dr. Deprano about her work with sports management here at Dayton, she considered her job a calling because she has always had a passion for sports. Having a passion for something is a great summary for what I’m working on now with my informative synthesis. So basically, all of my papers have tied together in one way or another.
Just with my interview and working on my synthesis alone, I have learned a lot of what it takes to be successful and some of the struggles people go through in the work field. It also makes me think more about how important doing well in school is. Students need to get good grades in hope that they can receive internships in the field they are studying and that way they can get ahead in the job search. So that is one big bonus I have picked up from this semester English course. After reading some of the articles this semester, it does kind of make me worry about my future. I worry about things like if I’ll find a job that I actually like doing or if I’ll be stuck being miserable at work.
Some aspects of work that I think differently about are that they are people out there who just work for money because they have do and they do not work because they want to work. It is like they are forced to work and are truly unhappy with what they have to do each day. I hope that when I am graduated, I find a job that I am comfortable with and something that I can have a career in.

Eileen S. said...

I was actually confused a lot of the times as to why an English course was talking to me nearly everyday about work. We discused the differences of a job, work and career. All our writting asignments helped us learn alot about working. Professor Purdy did a good job incorporating the teaching of English elements with learning more about work. She really did get me thinking about the future. Which is something i try not to do so much, the future is very scary. But now that Professor has made us think about it i learned it wont be as bad as i thought. Because of this course i am very courious now of the future and what it has in store for me. As of now i am plan on getting a job working in New York City. I am from new York and I have always loved the city. I have never really wanted a job or a long time, so if it is possible i would love to just stay at home and let my husband make the money. But as i have learned with the group presentations this may not exactly be fisable. This course did not really make me feel any different about work. But it definatly got me thinking about it more.

Anonymous said...

This English class is unlike any other English class that I’ve previously taken. I like how it incorporated issues that are actually meaningful. It interested me and so I was able to stay on top of my work since it was an interesting subject for me. One thing I realized however is the structure of my papers need a lot of work. I’ve always had a hard time organizing my thoughts. This class really affected my thoughts on a lot of issues. Specifically the issues people gave presentations on. Since my presentation was on love for work or money I really thought a lot about what I want to do with my life. I’ve debated a lot about what I want to major in and what I want to do with my major once I’m out of school. I’ve thought about getting a serious office job but I don’t really want to do that I would only do that for the money. What I really want to do is work for a non-profit organization called To Write Love on her Arms. It’s something I’m really passionate about and although I wouldn’t make a lot of money I would do it for the love of the job. Or I want to get into music management because my dream job would to be a band manager. This class has helped me to realize that I don’t want to work a job that I hate if I’m going to be spending so much of my time doing it. I’d rather work a little harder to get the money doing something that I love. This class really provoked a lot of thoughts of mine. I think its really beneficial that that we focused so much on the topic of work because obviously it’s a relevant topic seeing as we are all going to get thrown into the work world. It’s made me realize that I need to get my thoughts together pretty soon and figure out what I want to do before it’s too late.

SamanthaM. said...

This semester’s class revolved around work, which I thought was a very good topic for college freshman to be thinking about. I know that a lot of students are not sure of what they want to do and talking about work and the reasons people work. I think that it was a good thing for us to start talking about. Since we are in college we are obviously thinking about what we want to do with our lives. I think that discussing this topic was very good for us because it got the class thinking about what we really want out of a job. The first question that we had to think about was, do we want to have a job, career, or a calling. What do you want out of your work is a huge decision that each person has to make. The next question we are asked was to think about if you wanted to work for love or if you wanted to work for money. What are your reasons for choosing a certain job? I think that getting us to start thinking about things like why we want to work and why we want to have certain jobs and what you want to accomplish from the job is very important for students our age.
I felt that focusing on work was very helpful to the entire class. I have already changed my major twice. Since I was little I always wanted to be a teacher but then last year, for some reason I am still not quite sure of, I decided that I did not want to do that anymore. I thought about it a lot and I knew that I wanted to have a job that I loved, it would be nice if It made money but for the most part I just wanted to make sure that I would be happy with the career that I choose. I narrowed it down to what I enjoy most in life. Well, first I love little children and I also want to help people, so I decided that I want to be a pediatrician. I would get to work with little kids and I would also get to help people so I felt that being a pediatrician was the best career that I could choose. I really think that this class helped me a lot and really feeling good about my decision. I want to work for love and that is what I am going to do. I also think that this is more like a career for me because I would be able to improve and move get continuously better at what I do. I am not sure about it being a calling because I have not always wanted to do this. Maybe once I actually become a doctor my feelings will change but as of now I am going for a career for love.

Anonymous said...

Before I came to UD, no one really stressed the importance to figure out what you really wanted to do with your life. For a very long time I was told that I should be a finance major because I love money and want to make a lot of money. This course has made me think a lot about what I truly want. I feel that I want to be a finance major but I also feel that I could be doing a lot of other things with my life as well. I know that I want to make a lot of money one day because it is important to be able to provide for my family and have money for vacations and things like that. The thing that I am not completely sure about is what I want to be yet. This course has made me question what I reall want to be out of college. I think that I would be successful in Finance but I can also see myself being a psychiatrist. I took psychology and AP Psychology in high school and I loved it and feel like I may have even more of a passion for that. I'm really not too sure. I don't want to make the wrong decision. I have gained a lot more knowledge about different jobs through this course. I have been introduced to a lot of different careers as well. The interview was very beneficial as well. The interview gave me an inside look on what my major and a career in stock broking really involves. This has been very beneficial to get perspective from a person who is already in the field. I definitely think it will be very beneficial though to research more about different jobs. The only problem I feel is that you can learn about jobs through interviews and reading about them, but I still feel like I really don't have a great understanding of the field I'm going into. I think shadowing someone for a day would really be the most beneficial.

Anonymous said...

I, like many of your other students, really did not think to hard about what I want to do with my life in a meaning full way. I have said since I was in the fifth grade I have always wanted to own my own business. It all started when we did this activity in class. We had to come up with some kind of product to sell. Then, go out and purchase the supplies needed for the product. And then we made the products and sold them. My group decided to make popcorn balls because it was fall. The experience was so exciting and fun that I wanted to do that for a living, coming up for a product to sell, how to get it to selling state, and all the other questions that come with putting a product out for people to buy like the cost of the product or will we make profit. I never really thought about it since then I just always knew that was what I wanted to do. When I started this class and actually thinking about what I will be doing it made me second guess myself. Do I really want to do this? Why does this interest me? I know now that I really do want to lead a whole business and have all the responsibility. This course has given me some confidence that I can do it. I do want to make money and a profit but I most importantly want a job that I enjoy. I do not ever want to be in the situation that I do not go into work because I cannot be there because I am bored and dull. My synthesis is on social security so I have been thinking a lot about how my future is going to have change in terms of how I save for retirement. I know that I am going to be paying into the social security account money that I will never see, but I will not let that stop me. I am going to start, as soon as I am out of college, saving for my retirement because I do not want to be poor and I also do not want to rely too heavily on a program that might collapse. This will change how much money I will have from each paycheck because I will be setting aside money out of it for my own retirement fund.

KHensman said...

Before this semester I have not thought about what is the difference between a job, career, and a calling. Having this English class focused mainly around the idea of work has opened my mind to the difference between a job, career, and a calling. I know I want to be a chemical engineer, which I would put that under the career category. The difference between the three for me is that a job is when a person works for minimum wage and does it just to get some extra money, like a high school student’s first summer job. A career is where a person has to achieve a higher education to complete the work and the person gets paid more than minimum wage. A calling is work that a person is drawn to, and the work does not usually pay well, like a priest or a teacher. With a new insight on the different aspects on work, I look at my goal in life is to have a steady career after college.
During this class, I had to look into my preferred career choice which is chemical engineering. I really did not know what work chemical engineers did. In high school I was very good in chemistry and math, so my teachers told me I should look into chemical engineering. The rhetorical analysis paper made me find articles on the work that chemical engineers did for a living. I found great articles that were very interesting, a little confusing because I did not have to vocabulary for a chemical engineer yet, but it made me more interested in becoming a chemical engineer. I learned a lot through the articles. The interview project also made me learn more about chemical engineering. My interview was helpful, I learned a lot about what it takes to become a chemical engineer and the different jobs available. I interviewed a working mother, and that was a different view on working and being a mother. She ended up deciding to teach so she could work her schedule around her children. This was a different path then I think, at least right now, I would want to take. Overall, the interview gave me some perspective on the chemical engineering world.
The semester focused on the idea of work is a great idea. Most freshmen, including myself, do not really know what they want to do when they get out of college. This class gives them the opportunity to look into their career choice and see if they truly want to do that when they get out of college. This was a very helpful class in learning more about my career choice and English at the same time.

DestinyL. said...

This English class has taught me a lot about the choices I should make about my future career. Although the readings that we had to do weren't as interesting as I would like, I now see that they did serve an ultimate purpose in the course.
Before taking this class I decided that I didn't want to be pre-med. Learning about work in this class really sealed the deal for me. In this class I realized that although my choice of majors may not make me as much money as being a doctor would, what ultimately matters is that I'm happy and I'm able to live my life they way I want.
I really liked having to do the blogs. It was an easy way of getting points and most of the time I liked writing on the topic. What I found frustrating was not being able either access the page, or access the our class's blog, which lost me a lot of points.
I really liked the projects we had. They weren't too demanding, but they were still challenging in ways. For example, the challenges i found in the interview were first figuring out who exacly I could interview because I wasn't even sure what I wanted my career to be. I ended up finding two people and both flaked on me at the last minute. I guess the interviewing project taught me most to always have a backup plans.
College has been a real eyeopening experience thus far. I felt so prepared over the summer because my high school was so challenging so I didn't think college could be any harder. Now I'm just hoping to do at least average on my finals. Next semester I'm going to do a lot things differently. I'm going to continue to go to the library every night after class to do homework and study, be more organized, keep track of my grades better, and find a successful way to study for midterms and finals.

Christian M. said...

Coming to college I knew I wanted to become a mechanical engineer, and to do that I need a college education. With English class I thought we would write papers on topics that had nothing to do with my major. But the theme of work as a class topic was a new twist for me.
It made me think outside of the box as what work really meant to me and I think everyone else felt the same. I thought work was just going to your job each and every day work a ton of hours and contribute to society. But this class pinpointed some very hot topics that are occurring right now in our time like are we working for love or money? Careers and parenthood, and it is us that will be affecting the outcomes of those issues.
Each assignment we had reflected towards work in some way. The interview, obviously talking to someone in our desired field, critiques because we all will be analyzing some report in the future, even the group projects helped build team skills and communication which are crucial in any field.
The workload was also not that bad compared to other classes. Each paper had a clear goal that was expected of us. Writing it was not the hard part, but knowing the process and how to write it was difficult. It made us use tools that were not comfortable with in order to write the paper correctly. Using the database was new to me and it turns out to be a very useful tool that I now have in my tool belt.
This English class was a great experience to have, especially your first semester. It forced me to think outside the box and come up with creative ideas. At the same time building skills and are key to work and creating new tools to use when I hit a wall in the writing process.

Anonymous said...

Being a Pre-Med major I came into school knowing what I wanted to do with my life. I never really thought about the complications and other aspects of work that go along with being a professional. This class has showed me that there is more to work than just a job. I have seen that other factors such as family, incoming, monetary problems, and passion of your job all factor into your career. Throughout the class discussions and exercises I have had an opportunity to think more about these factors, and how they will affect my life in the future.
I enjoyed this class, and its easy going manner. It was easy to participate in class and I felt that I benefitted from the atmosphere. I didn’t mind doing most of the assignments which always helps because I had some motivation to turn in my work. There is nothing I hate more than when I do not get along with a teacher and I hate every second of completing the work. Since the topics we covered in class had some sort of personal meaning to me I actually put time and effort into completing the assignments. When I came into this class I thought it was going to be another English class where we write papers on stupid topics and I hate going to class. I thoroughly enjoyed this class, and I am glad that the topics that we discussed with help me to make decisions that will positively affect my future. I found out that there is more to work than just your everyday job. I now realize I have a lot to think about when I plan for my future.

Anonymous said...

This class caused me to realize that just because you have a job, does not mean that you are not poor. I feel like I have grown up in a sheltered situation. I have never personally known anyone who worked a job at a place such as Wal-mart and lived in a motel. When I am in a store such as Wal-mart I never take the time to think about the people who are checking me out at the register or helping me find an item. It never occurred to me that they might be going home to a poor living situation, might have to take the bus to work, or might even be living in a cheap and disgusting motel. I feel like the topics in this class have opened my eyes to many aspects of the working world that I never even considered.
I also came to realize that many people today do not have a choice to work for love. A lot of the reason is because of the cost of living today. If a married couple wants to have kids they have to take into consideration many things. Some of these things would be how many they want to have, what kind of school they want to send them to, what area of the city they want to live in, etc. It never occurred to me that many people do not have the choice to work for love. They sacrifice the occupation they would like to have for their family and for their lifestyle of living.
This class has made me realize that no matter what profession I choose, I am going to try to my best to make it something I love. I hope to marry someone who will be able to support me and give me the ability to work a job I love, although I do realize that there is a possibility where that will not happen. This class has definitely opened my eyes to what the real job life is like. Not everyone gets the job they want and not everyone ends up loving the job they have. Money makes people do things they do not even want to do. I hope that I choose a job that fits me well and one that I will love.

MaryB. said...

Personally, I have always been very goal-oriented and have thought about my future. One of the assignments that we completed in this course was the interview which I ended up really enjoying. I thought it was so interesting because I interviewed a doctor and it gave me so much insight into what I was getting myself into. That assignment was probably the one thing in this course that gave me a new perspective on work. I have always known that I when I got a job in my career field that it was going to be challenging and keep me busy but I didn’t know exactly what went into the everyday life of a doctor. By talking to my interviewee, I was able to really assess what happened in the day to day life of someone in my career and what it took to get there. I think overall that this helped clarify a lot of the questions I had concerning my career goal. Also just the fact that we had to assess whether or not our career was going to be a job, career, or calling made me think about work a lot and wonder why I was really doing it. I think just figuring that out made a huge difference in the way I viewed the work that I have to do for my other classes. For example, I consider my future job to be a calling; therefore, it helps make all the studying that I have to do for my chemistry class worthwhile. The only aspect that I think differently about work is the sacrifices that you may have to make to achieve the career. I think that I now understand better the sacrifices and the rewards that go into achieving my career.

Jacob M. said...

I thought that this course had been a very good influence on the ways that I have to enter the working world. Asking myself different questions will help me with the quest of making a good career choice and being in sync with my own passions. I want to go into the working world and make a good amount of money and be very successful. Some of the things that we have done in this class have opened up my eyes to different types of opportunities that many be out their waiting for me. I think that writing paper topics that are more relevant to your life help a person to grow and look at their interest more closely.
I want to enter the business world with many types of experience on my back. Writing that interview gave me a experience that I could positively learn from. I want to be very successful and at the same time have a vast knowledge of what I am doing. Learning from the experience of other people can give me the foot in the door to different opportunities that may are in store for me in the future. I look at the working world as a complex web that has to be figured out and adapted to. It is a hard journey to the top and you have to have the will to do it in order to make a difference in what is going to happen in the future.
I worked on these works in class and learned a great deal about myself and what I wanted to further pursue in my life. I want to go and make a difference in what is going on in the world and make a stride to make the business world a productive place. Each person that hides themselves from that every day task is cheating themselves out of a life experience. In closing I have taken a lot from this class and in the next few years it will give me a good background to choosing the career that is right for me.

Avery C. said...

Before this English class I did think about a career for the future. I always thought about being a special education teacher. For our interview project I interviewed my tutor who worked at my elementary school as a special education teacher. She gave a lot of insight about teaching and the highs and lows and the rewarding factors. I know for myself that I would have to love my job so much and look forward to doing it because you would be doing that everyday for the rest of your life potentially. I would definitely want to take education courses and student teach in an actual school setting. My theory is you don’t know until you try it (teaching). If I were to become a special education teacher I think it might come a little bit easier to me because I have been around my brother and helped out around school events and programs with kids with disabilities. I think being a teacher would be extremely rewarding and always something new happening.

Maureen L. said...

This class has taught me alot about managing time. I was never one to manage my time in high school, but I have completely turned and now I really try not to procrastinate my work. This will help me to be more efficient in my work ethic. I have leardned to go to teachers and not be shy about what I need help with. It will benefit me in so many ways.
I have learned not to be so shy about my work, and if I need help to go out and seek help. It will completely help me with things in the future. I am so glad that I have taken this course because it truely has helped me to grow as a person and to recognize what kind of person I am, and I truely see that I need time to work efficiently.

Andrew Q. said...

With this being my first English class in college I found it helpful that the professor tried to relate everything that we did to working for love or money. I was fortunate enough to have two parents that could give me anything that I needed and wanted. I have always thought about my future, and realized a long time ago that I never wanted to wake up one day and hate my job. This class has helped me realize that in today’s society there are many jobs that are not practical anymore. People can no longer work a minimum wage job and support a family. I have realized that I want to work for love and not the money. This class has showed me that I will have to make a few adjustments to my life style and when having a family. I have learned from this class the affects of education and having a job which after many people when it comes to working for love or money. The class has shown that many people today work for the money and not actually because they enjoy doing what they do. I have decided that I want to enjoy what I do and to really think about my major and what I enjoy doing.

Kevin S. said...

My first thought of work was a job that paid well, but not necessarily something I love to do. Work is something that I live off of, even as of now. I use the money I worked for to help pay for college. There are many types of jobs or work. Many things have changed about this aspect of the definition I thought work was. I never really took the time to think of work at a deeper level. I am glad the course revolved around work because as I pick a career, a calling, or a job I will pick the one that suites myself the best.
A calling to me, as I think about it now is something that leads one in their life. A priest is an example, or a nun. To me it represents the religious order. My uncle is a priest and I do not think he woke up one day and thought to himself, I want to be a priest. I feel like he grew more and more attached until one day he just decided to do it. It is something that you cannot live without doing, you cannot ignore a calling. It is as if a spell cast on you, and it is not uncast until you follow through.
Throughout my high school career I worked at Meijer. Now I do not want to work here my entire life so this to me is a job. A job is something that gets me by, in my opinion. A job is not something that we strive for in our life. We do not grow up thinking I am going to put everything I have to get a job. We think of jobs or at least I think of jobs as something guaranteed, a position achieved before a career.
Something I strive for, work all my life for, go to school for is what I consider a career. This takes time and sometimes fortune. A career is the ultimate satisfaction for one that does not answer to a calling. For example calling my work at Meijer a career would be a mistake. I would be misinterpreting the meaning of a career. A career takes long hard hours of work not hours of checking people out. A career to me is a lifetime full of work, and suffering in order to gain the ultimate happiness and sensation.

Anonymous said...

This class has affected my idea of work for a lot of reasons. First of all I grew up in a family with 6 kids I have 4 sisters and 1 brother and I loved it. I someday hope to have a similar family and I hope to be a stay at home mom. This idea of what I want my future to be like in 5-10 years sometimes makes me question things. I sometimes wonder why I’m even here paying 40,000$ a year to go to school when I plan on being a stay at home mom. This also makes me question if I should be majoring in something so ambitions (mechanical engineering) if all I want to is be a stay at home mom. Am I going to use this degree to its full potential when I get out of college? Also I wonder if I’m trying to be a mechanical engineer for the right reasons. I have always thought that I was good at building things and taking things apart and figuring out how things work so I thought that it must be a gift I have so I should be a mechanical engineer. But I also admit that I know engineers get paid a significant amount of money. So I sometimes questions what my real motives are am I doing this because I really love what im doing or because I want to be successful and make a lot of money. But if all I wanted it for was because of the money then I think about the fact that I don’t plan on working for a long time after college because I want to be a stay at home mom. Which brings me full circle back in to the question of why I’m here paying 40,000$ for an education that I might not even use. Am I just sitting here at college having one big party and sucking my parent’s money down the drain? Or am I out on my own learning skills and tools that I need to succeed later in life and getting an education that will make me a better rounded person. These are some of the things I think about when I go over the theme of work in this class. But I still believe deep down the same thing that I wrote in my first paper on the first day of class. Being a mechanical engineer is going to be a career for me someday…I still need to find my calling.

Danny said...

I do not think that this course has actually changed the way that I see work and my future I feel like it has just reassured what I actually want to do. In the beginning of the course we discussed the difference between calling, job and career. After that discussion I felt reinforced that I want my career to be somewhere within the United Nations. It made me realize that it is not a calling for me that I might want to or need to work in business before I can eventually make my way to the UN. The presentations on different work related things really helped me to understand a lot of things about myself. It helped me to understand that the job market is really competitive and I will need to have an edge on the rest of society in order to do want I really want to do. The group that presented on, “work, for love or money,” really helped me to realize that I want to have a family, and that my family will definitely come before my work. I learned that no amount of money can tear me away from my family and my occupation will have to work around that.

Meghan D said...

For me this class was not like the English classes I had in High School. I came to UD expecting to do a lot of readings from different literature and I expected to write more essays than what we did. Don’t get me wrong I didn’t mind not writing all that much but it wasn’t what I had imagined. I like the fact that this class was centered around work. Like most college students I didn’t really have a really good idea of what I wanted to do outside of college. I’m majoring in chemical engineering because I was told that if I want to do pharmaceutical research then chemical engineering is a really good stepping stone to that. I thought doing the interview was a good way to give students a different perspective on the career that they anticipate going into outside of college. I interviewed a chemical engineer from Proctor and Gamble who was the head of the respiratory products department. Even though I don’t want to go into respiratory products the interview gave me insight into what all a chemical engineers job entails. I also like the rhetorical analysis assignment. This assignment gave me an opportunity to look at different articles that pertained to my future career. The popular article showed me how chemical engineering really does have some part in almost anything that is out in the market. This course also taught me that I really should reflect on the reason that I’m choosing chemical engineering as a career field because if I’m only doing it for the money than the amount of stress is not going to be worth it unless it is really my passion. I actually enjoyed this class this semester. I learned more about my future career choices and the difference that enjoying your career makes.

MeganP. said...

The course really has made me think about what my future career is going to be. I think what really affected me was the thinking of the Buddhist’s thinking, which is the way that you either have a job, career, or a calling. I really questioned whether I am going to the right direction. I have always wanted to be a teacher, however it does not pay the money that I need. Even though that seems very shallow it is difficult to find a job as a teacher and it is hard to live a life that way. I would love to major in business, but I don’t know if it is really what I’m meant to be. I would love that to be my career and I enjoy what I have I already learned about it. However, I do not feel like it is a calling and very useful in making a difference in the world, which sounds a little corny. I think I will continue to juggle the idea of whether I really want to major in accounting or if I’m meant to be a teacher. Before I came to college, I thought of everything as black and white, and there can’t be a in between. But, I’m realizing that I don’t need to know one certain thing right now. Also, that I do have some time to figure out what I’m really suppose to do with my life. Not only my job, but other jobs have made me think differently. How to be a doctor or lawyer that you are creative in a different way gave me perspective that you don’t only use creativity in art and music. This English 101 class has given me different perspective that I have not thought of before in jobs.

MarkD. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MarkD. said...

English 101 has made me think about what I love to do and what I want to do for the rest of my life. I know that I want a job that will make me happy and that I will enjoy, but at the same time I also want to have a job that will make me enough to maybe support a family someday. This class has taught me some important writing and speaking skills that I will need to be successful in my life. I think about work differently now because I keep changing my mind of what I want to do. Some days I want to be one thing and other days I want to be another thing. I hope I can make up my mind soon because I need to start looking for some summer jobs of what I want to do for my career. This class has taught me that it should not be just all about the money, but for me I think that when I choose a career, that I will need one that will pay me a lot because I have such expensive hobbies and taste. I like to spend a lot of money on my car and go show it at shows, and I also like to travel with my snowboard and mountain bike and that in not something that is cheap either. I hope that I can find a career that can suit both of my problems. I need something that I love and that will pay me a good amount of money. I do not want to have to give up my passions just because I cannot afford them, I do not think I could ever do that.

Anonymous said...

This class was defiantly different because it revolved around work the entire time. To me, this seemed like a little too much. We were talking about work from the first day to the very last. Every single assignment had this theme of work and it got a little too repetitive for me. Yes, I do believe that this is an important topic to discuss, especially for college freshman. But I also believe that a college English class should broaden your horizons and not be concerned with just a single issue or topic. We just kept beating the same drum over and over again with this work issue and if things were jobs, careers, or callings. This is not to say that I didn’t get a lot out of this class. I just would have hoped to get more from a wider range of topics. The interview was the most helpful for learning about work and more specifically my own chosen career. I now look at work as something that has to be done and I see most people that work for money instead of love. I still hope that I love my job, whatever it ends up being. I have looked at what I want to do with the rest of my life before coming into this class. It seemed like many of the things that I had already been told about my job in my career explorations class in high school. The group projects at the end of the year were very enjoyable. It was a good change of pace compared to the normal class setting. It also gave me a whole new perspective as to what it takes to fill up an entire class period. The preparation involved is much more detailed than what I had originally expected.

Anonymous said...

Before this class I have never really thought about what work is all about. We are all here at the University of Dayton for the same reason, and that is to graduate and get a good job. What we didn’t think very much about is what kind of jobs are we looking for; one that is sole based on the amount of money we will be making, or one that we will enjoy doing every day for the rest of our lives. I personally want a job that will wake me up early and I will feel that I have a reason to get out of bed and go to work. I want to be that guy who has a sweet job that everyone wishes they were doing. Money is not a huge issue with me at the moment. How much I will be making isn’t part of my thinking with my degree. I am in engineering technology, so already I am saying that I don’t mind making less money, to do a job and degree that I am working with my hands, and having fun in. Before this class I didn’t realize that I subconsciously decided to get a job for the love of what I do rather than a job will make me lots of money. Granit engineering is engineering, and there will be money whatever I do, however, I am not focusing on what I will be making, but what I will be doing. Through this course I have had a lot of time to think about what I am doing here at Dayton, if it is worth it, and if I am doing the best possible thing for me. I believe that I am here for all the right reasons, and that it is up to me to do my best and get the opportunity to do what I want to be doing. I enjoyed my time in English this semester, and I feel that the fact that we didn’t have a lot of assignments, and busy work made it more enjoyable to come to class, and thus resulting in me getting a lot more out of it than if I dreaded going and didn’t pay attention. It was usually a relaxed setting where we could have good discussions that made us think about what it is that we were learning about. I like the fact that the class was based on one grand topic, and I would recommend doing it for future classes.

Anonymous said...

In this English class, I have learned a lot about the career and life ahead of me. I have learned about both being an art teacher and being a father. Not only being a father, but also possibly being a stay-at-home father. I have investigated a lot of information on both topics dealing with my future. For the art teacher side, I have preformed many steps to see what it is like to be an art teacher. I have interviewed a professor here at the University of Dayton. He gave me a lot of insightful information on being an art teacher. From interviewing him, it has only made me want to be an art teacher more. Also, I have looked up articles on art teachers. One of the articles was an interview with art teachers and the other articles were just about art education in general.
Along with being an art teacher I will possibly be a father. Not only could I be a father but I could also be a stay-at-home father. I would not mind being a stay-at-home father because I like kids. Also, if it were what my wife wanted, I would fulfill her dreams. I researched a ton of information on being a stay-at-home father from the good and the bad to the financial problems. I have found out that being a stay-at-home father would be difficult because I would not fit in with all the stay-at-home mothers. Also, it could be difficult because I would not be making an income, and I would only be taking care of the kids. Although, I would still love to be a stay-at-home father and love my family with all my heart.
I have thought about the future a little differently from getting a job right out of college to being a stay-at-home father. I still do not know what I will start off to be right out of college, but at one point in time I would love to be both a stay-at-home father and an art teacher. At the beginning of the year I though I wanted to teach in high school, but now I am not to sure what grade level I would like to teach. I guess only time will tell for all these factors in my life for me in the future.

JDLV200 said...

English is a very important thing in our daily lives and now more than ever do to the fact that it is like a universal language and I s basically use all around the world. Trough life I had to use English but now more than ever do to the fact that back in Puerto Rico we mainly used Spanish as our conversational and writing language. Now that I come t study to the states I see English as a big part of my future and this course has helped me realize how important English really is. Throughout the course we have done different activities that have help me see English not only as a language that I have to learn how to speak and write but also as a tool that you need in order to be find success in your present and future. I have to be realistic I still have a long way to go in order to get better in my English writing but this course was the start of something that is very good and important for me. Activities that we did like the interview open my knowledge to new things and help me also explore the profession that I want to have in the future. Other assignments like the critique and the annotated bibliography help me se ways to analyze and work with information went I read help me make a better summarize about was important . In general the course what a great experience because I never as English as challenge for me now I can see the areas that I need to work on and focus on them. Thanks to the things I learned in this course and the thing that I do better thanks to it I feel more confident in my English writing but I still have a long way to go in order to get perfection.

AB 200 said...

No, I don’t think necesilary that this course affected the way that I thought about work. Because prior to taking this class, I knew a lot of information about the work force and I knew what part of the work force that I wanted to go into. But just because I knew something about the workforce and I knew what profession I want to have, that doesn’t mean that I know everything and anything about the current state of jobs.
But there are some things that I did learn while taking this class. I learned the difference between what a jobs is, what a career is, and what a calling is, or so I think I learned what the difference between a job, career, and a calling. I learned that there is really no one defition for what a job is, what a career is, and what a calling is. But for me a job is being a camp consuleor or some type of summer job. A career is a type of job that someone holds for longer than a summer or a couple of years, it could be something that someone goes to school in order to receive the proper education or schooling on. A calling is what you feel is the reason why you were brought onto earth to do. For example, when I did my interview assignment I interviewed Bucky Albers, who was one of the beat writers for the Dayton Daily News, and he feels that his career as a sports writer is also his calling. He feels that he was put on this earth to be a sports writer and that is what he is doing.

DavidB. said...

The first day in class we were to write an essay as to weather we thought of our career as a career, job, or calling. I didn't really think much of it...just sort of wrote the essay to get done with it. Now that I look back on that, I guess I would have to say I've changed my mind. I see engineering as a calling for me. I can honestly say that I could get up every morning and go into work and still like doing my job when I came home. This class has helped me to re assure myself that I will be an engineer. I'm glad the prof chose to focus on this in class. I think it was an excellent tool to help us help ourselves.